Overlining Saltwater 10wt Fly rod? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Overlining Saltwater 10wt Fly rod?

What weight line airflow clear intermediate line would work well with 10wt Loomis GLX 4 piece Cross Currant rod? I have always matched line weight to rod weight, but the 10wt GLX CC seems too stiff with a 10wt line and does not “load up and shoot” unless there is 50 foot or more of line in the air.
Is there a weight difference between floating and intermediate lines and hence a different overlining weight (I know different weight sinking lines cast accordingly)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 AM
President of CAC

There are all sorts of methods to determine line capabilities...but if your 10 weight does not load the rod according to your physical or technical skills...or it does not "feel" right...by all means overload the road to compensate for technique and ,more importantly, the stiffness of the rod... a softer rod or one with a mid flex as oppose to a stiff tip flex will cast differently. You might even have to go up 2 lines on the intermediate... you will have to experiment to find the proper "point" at which you load the rod for you to be able to successfully double haul or cast the basic forward cast.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Flats Rat

I would get that line checked first! I had an airflow clear intermediate rated 9wt a couple of years back that wouldn't load my GLX properly and sent it back. A 9wt floater casts like a dream on this rod.

Just a thought!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Jonesin...

I have found the Airflow lines to be a bit light and like an 11wt on my original GLX ten wt. I have even used a 12wt with big flys and heavy wind and while the rod feels much softer it is often the trick.

Sean
Old 06-22-2004, 10:13 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I can testify to that- both my 9wt rods (the Sage RPXLi and the Orvis T3 tip-flex) load much better with a 10wt intermediate line than the 9wt line I started out with.
Doc Shep
Old 06-22-2004, 10:27 AM
President of CAC

So Doc...you did make the Change...I am glad.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Jonesin...

Doc,

What ten wt do you like on the RPLXi? I have been using a 9wt cortland 444 and for small unweighted flies I thought it cast well but after using some heavy crab flies on the flats this weekend I think I need a few more grains to make it work.

Sean
Old 06-22-2004, 11:36 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Sean- I put on an Orvis Advantage Wonderline, mainly due to the proximity of my home to the Orvis shop here in Harwich. It's a nice slick line that seems to shoot pretty well (especially when Juro is doing the casting).
Doc Shep
Old 06-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Pencil me in.....

In order to execute shorter casts for the flats ( because I see the fish coming too late) I either go up one to two line weights on the ten weight or use my eight weight which loads easily with less line in the air..we never have enough rods
Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 PM

Talking

I my experience most moder fly rods can handle one or two lines up from which the rod is rated. I have a Cortland QD 350 line which does not load my Sage RPl+ as well as my 400 graind AirFlo line. The 400 grain line I believe is an 11 wt line. However, as my casting has improved I can now cast the 350 line on my Sage as well as the heavier line. I am not familar with Loomis rods. I think that the line manufactures should make another rateing system for modern fly rods.
Just my .02 FishHawk
Old 06-23-2004, 08:03 AM

My opinion: it's all a matter of personal preference.

I used to have a 10wt 444 on my Powell 9 (fast rod like the Sage XP) that loaded it perfectly. Changed over to an Airflo Clear Int' and hate it. The line feels thick and you have to haul and haul to get it out at short distances. Probably just feels different becuase i changed lines...

The taper of the line makes a difference depending on if you need a quick load (flats) or not. I automatically overline with floaters. With an intermediate you may want to try both. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the Feed back Guys.

I bought an 11wt Airflo clear Int. and tried it out last night.
What a difference - The rod now loads up with 35 feet of line and I easily, consistently and comfortably shot out 80-85 feet casts with 2 false casts in windy conditions. Changing from the 10wt to the 11wt Airflo clear int vastly improved (for me) the casting performance of my Loomis 10wt GLX Cross currant rod- its now a rocket.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Just chiming in, as I recently bought a 1 piece, 10 wt. Loomis Cross Current.

I'm using an Airflo clear intermediate 10 wt. line on one spool...a bit of work casting, lots of strain on grip and wrist of casting arm.

But...on other spool I have a 10 wt. 400 grain Rio sink tip. Loads rod really easy....
WAY, WAY easier to cast with no where near the effort.

Doug B.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.