Rip Squid - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2001, 01:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rip Squid

Originator: Juro Mukai
Imitation: squid
Hook: 3/0 - 5/0 depending on size of fly
Legs: curly ostrich plumes, marabou hackles
Mantle: nylon tube fly tube tied to hook shaft at bend to extend fly backward, hook is at head of squid. Legs and eyes tied to end of tube, body hackled upward and over bend of hook
Eyes: featherweight aluminum deep sea eyes, large w/ 3-d sticker eyes
Fins: Marabou hackled over and finished at eye

Cut a nylon tube at a shallow oblique angle so it joins with the hook shaft at the bend.

Place the tube in a tube tool and tie the tentacles to the end of the tube.

Tie in the eye above the legs. Make sure the eye will be aligned with the groove in the tube for the hook shaft.

Palmer dyed bunny or marabou feathers (folded) up toward the hook leaving a space to work with. Whip finish in place, put aside.

Mount the hook. Underwrap the bend of the hook with extra stout thread, whip finish, don't cut the thread. Lay the tube so it extends the shaft beyond the bend, wrap securely and whip finish. Secure with zap-a-gap.

Continue palmering the body up the tube and onto the hook shaft.

Finish with multiple shades of marabou or SW hackles for the fins.

This fly is very lightweight and can be cast effectively with a standard striper weight rod and line. I have done very well with it's prototype before losing to a blue. This was developed during the "cephalopod project" which was a mutual interest by a few members to figure out squid flies for stripers.

I will do a sequence of steps this winter and hope to test it further from Bruce Peter's boat this summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2001, 06:58 PM

Lightbulb squid fly

JURO, COULD YOU, WOULD YOU, send on to put in the case at the SHOP!!! "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 12-12-2001, 07:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rich -

I was hoping to get down to the shop to tie a few up with you. Hope the foot is healed, let's plan that again. I ended up meeting with GregD and future president of the Flyfishing Forum BrandonD to tie up a few flies... last I heard Greg has 19,432 flies tied for next season and counting!

I'll have a break coming up during the holidays, let's get together and tie a few then.

Thanks and as always, good to hear from you.

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.