Fly Fishing Forum banner

The bluebird passeth us by...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Boy what a day today would have been on the flats... bright as heck, flat ass calm windwise and a good push of tide at high sun. Anyone indulge today?

#2 ·
Juro- didn't actually fish, but did get in some more casting practice with the Atlantis on Red River Beach in prep for the Rip Trip this weekend. Finding it easier to get out 80 ft casts pretty consistently; eventually I'm sure I'll get to the full line casts. One of the problems I'm still having is managing the running line, which has a nasty habit to get coiled and knotted in the stripping basket. I think a thicker running line might help with both line management and controlling the line while shooting line into the backcast. Any ideas as to where I could get the 50# Rio Slickshooter line?
Doc Shep

#3 ·
Slickshooter is actually way thinner than the average running line but it handles really pretty nicely and shoots like a demon. It will cut through the current very nicely without a lot of resistance, which is otherwise a problem in the rip. I also like the bright color.

With the 35 ft sinking shooting head you should be rockin' it out there. Not sure who carries slickshooter close enough so you could get it by Sat but you should try all the sponsors. Get the 50# stuff by the way.

For your practice casting - it's all about keeping the loop tracking in a very straight vector on both halves of the cast using only the head of the line out. Keep your stroke s-l-o-w, your timing crisp and accelerate thru the stroke so that the whole rod seems to bend. The rod will do the rest if you let it, just stop it in the right spot and let it fly. It should be the most relaxing casting you've ever done if the stroke is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.