Mini DNA Flats Sand Eels - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 PM
President of CAC

Mini DNA Flats Sand Eels

Looking forward to trying these out... I will tye up 10 more . These are on small Varivas hooks(no flash hooks), for the Monomoy flats. The bottom two are subtle colors of chartreuse and olive on top, the top are two shades of brown, very fine colors of this new DNA material, Only four thin strips of flash inside over a thin clump of pink. Each is about 3 inches long with a exsmall silver dumbell eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MinisandeelsDNA.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	3371  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 PM

Those look great

John,
That's a great looking pattern. Have you found the DNA material to be pretty good? I haven't invested in any as of yet, but there seems to be some rumblings that is has great action. What has your experience been with it?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am afraid the age of the eel is dwindling... so many people are using elongated synthetic sand eel patterns with weighted eyes nowadays that they are much more prone to reject them than in years past. We are talking big fish in the 15 yr class, residents of Monomoy.

I remember days when I could vaccuum the flats with a deep eel back when they were not really publicized. Now a lot more fish are saying "been there done that".

Maybe DNA is the material change that can crack the code, I bought a bunch this winter and have not yet started to tie with it but I am not far behind you striblue.

On the flight from Exuma this winter I designed several new flies for flats fishing for stripers based on influences from my 8th trip to bonefish country. After fishing with Alan Caolo (report to follow) recently it dawned on me that it's time to put these new patterns to the vise. His imitator/stimulator patterns brought out an aggressive reponse in the fish who had probably never seen his "stuff" before. Despite days when they will eat the deep eel out of my hand, I had a couple of near misses that really broke my heart.

Of course to make up for it I followed up the day on the flats with some outgoing action at the lighthouse where they tore up the deep eel without so much as a second thought when it was swung by. But on the flats I am thinking it's time to break out the "secret sauce".

John, you'd better put a sign on the glass fly cases at CAC - "in case of emergency break glass"
Old 06-22-2004, 11:20 PM
President of CAC

I have not used this stuff before...so we shall see...but I agree with you Juro...I have my own stuff for Monomoy as well and they are not eels...but I will give this a go...and not really just at Monomoy but anywhere where small eels may be lurking around... I am glad you finally met up with Allan...I will be interested to hear how it went.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 AM
CantAnchorUs

John,
Your gonna love that stuff in the water, it moves so nice! I showed you some of the small streamers I tied with it and I can say the fish seem to like them just fine. Mixed with a little Midge Flash it makes some great looking stuff. Just a word to those who haven`t tied with it yet, there are two differant finishes available the Frosted finish has a luster to it that I really like, the Powder finish is dull and flat with no shine.
Slinger
Old 06-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Middle Aged Member

I bought an assortment of the powder colors and some pinkish DNA flash material thats cool to look at. I've only tied and tried one clouser/deep eelish fly on a small (#2?) LC413 hook. I'll be trying some more the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I've been catching the type of fish that will eat anything you through in front of them (sub keeper) so I have no qualitative feel for the effectiveness of the stuff. At this point I just don't think the fly matters (other than in general terms such as weighted hook up, suspended hook down)so much as figuring out how to trigger a respone when the fish are less than actively feeding. I'm kinda liking bucktail lately.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:51 AM

I have been using DNA this season thanks to a few flies donated by a friend. The best thing about the stuff is it's very foul resistant which can be a problem on superhair eel patterns. A friend hit 2 fish over 35" on a pattern almost identical to striblue's at nauset on Sunday.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 AM
President of CAC

I tied a bunch up last night BUT I used mono thread which gave me a better head and body consistancy.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to ashbourn
I have been looking for DNA and I can't find it. Anywhere online I can get it. It works great for spinner wings.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
President of CAC

I will look this evening on the package, but I bought mine at one of this winter's fly shows.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:44 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Try calling...

The Bear's Den...one of our FINE sponsors!
Go to the sponsor page and you're on your way to e-commerce...
Last time I was there, I'm certain there was a good choice of colours...
Lemme' know how you do!
ps...
I just talked to Scott and he's got the goods!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:01 PM

They have great action!

I tied up a bunch of smaller jeuvy DNA sand eels last night and fished them this morning. I would agree with Big Dave that the DNA doesn't get as tangled around the hook and holds truer..... Be curious to hear if they are the new assassins on the flats.

Aaron
Old 06-29-2004, 08:05 AM

A buddy was using a few DNA patterns he tied last Friday - this stuff has beautiful color & action.

Roop
Old 07-03-2004, 06:06 PM

I repent!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascoBay
I tied up a bunch of smaller jeuvy DNA sand eels last night and fished them this morning. I would agree with Big Dave that the DNA doesn't get as tangled around the hook and holds truer..... Be curious to hear if they are the new assassins on the flats.

Aaron

I fished the little DNA sandeel on a rip up on Popham beach with some stiff current yesterda y and was kicking myself for not having used epoxy on any of the DNA eels. Between the stiff current and even stiffer head wind, the material turned out to be a fouling nightmare! I have since epoxied up a bunch and it appears the this stuff is light enought weight where the epoxy won;t killed the action of the fly! We'll see. ... Regardless, on the casts where the fly was somewhat in tact, the pattern proved to be appealing to the flats feeding fish.
tight lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.