OF Nautilus Reviews - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 AM

OF Nautilus Reviews

Does anybody have first-hand experience with the Old Florida Nautilus?

I am looking for a new SW workhorse and the few reviews I've read have
been quite positive. Any Nautilus owners out there care to comment? My primary concerns are ease of changing spools, maintenance requirements and durability. The reel will regularly take dunkings in the salt and sand.

I assume the drag is smooth as butter at that price point.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 09:31 AM
LBFF Mojo

Been meaning to post my review. I got a 10 for my trip to striper country late may as I needed a reel for my 9wt single hander. So far I am very happy with the purchase

Aesthetics are great. Smooth drag and easy spool change. Defintely a reel that can handle being dunked as the drag looks totally sealed. I say looks cause a lot of other manfacturers have claimed thier drags are sealed(Ross,Lamson,insert others) but they really are not. It will take more than a few days out in the ocean for me to be truly confident in the reel.

I only caught smaller fish and really did not get to test the drag. However I really do not think it will be an issue and I will bring it bonefishing in the fall to give it better workout.

All together I am very happy with it and am looking to get a 12s to go with my atlantis and smaller spey rods.

- sean
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Jonesin...

Dave,

I don't have first hand experience but I can tell you slew of guys from Kaufman's had them on my bonefishing trip in May and everyone was very happy with them. Spool changing looked very easy and the drag appears to be the real deal in terms of totally sealed. The spool locks on via what I can only describe as interlocking gears. I would definitely consider one if I was in the market.

Sean
Old 06-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys,

Good to know. I'm between the Nautilus, Bauer Superlite and Ross Big Game but have heard the "seal" on the Big Game isn't totally reliable. These seem to be the best options for a regular spool-swapper like me. Looking for something I can rely on for years to come...

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
LBFF Mojo

Dave I have a couple Big Games as well and the drag IMHO is as smooth if not a little smoother than the Nautilus. However the drag is not totally sealed and requires more maintenance then the nautilus does. If I was in a situation where I could guarantee the reel would not get a lot of dunking (aka a boat) I would probably stick with the BG but unfortunately that is not the case with the fishing I do. It is a great freshwater reel though and it served me well with the altantis when I was on the cape with a few keepers. However I did take it apart when I got home and there was a good amount of salt in it. Juro had similiar problems with his BG after 1 season in the salt.

With the Bauer you will get a reel with an exposed drag system that gives you the advantage of being able to service it on the water if needed.

The guys at Kaufmans out here took some good size Great Trevallys on the nautilus with flawless performance. Those fish are some serious drag testers and after hearing that report is why I bought one.

Good luck in your search. It is nice we have so many choices nowadays under $500.

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.