How to identify a real one!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM

How to identify a real one!!

I grew up on a popular stretch of River and have be fortunate to have know a few "Bums". There are a lot of dime store want to bes out. Here are some traits that I have observed over the years. 1. Most have developed there own style of casting and fishing. The rod would appear to be an extension of there shoulder arm and hand. The cast was very repetitive and fun to watch. It would be a very fluid motion. 2. focused, Seldom hear two sentences in a row not about the fish. 3. Very intelligent. Would have been successful in day to day commerce. 4. Nonconformist. One drove an old black Hearse. This was the days before the Van was popular. Other cars were the VW beetle, The old Nash with the fold down seats. Also a blue 61 or 62 Studebaker. 5. They fished alone with total focus. Most almost had a spiritual relational with the Steelhead. Best of all they were friends. Jerry
Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I met one once that drove a white Ford pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 PM

A couple more traits

1. How many days per year? Every day the river was open and had 6 inches of visibility. One of the best was Chris Woodle. He got a call from the Game dept.
Mr. Woodle, We are looking at your punch card and see many punches on days that you were the only one on the whole river to catch a fish on that day. Chris had a lie hole across and up river from my place. Here is where Chris fished when the river was up in the brush. It was behind a willow and only about 2 feet deep. Every fish must have rested in that spot and Chris knew it. 2. They had no need to tell how many Steelhead they caught. They may tell you but their ego did not need to tell. Fish were so common to them that it was not an issue. Jerry
Old 06-04-2004, 01:44 PM

What an awesome post, Wetfly. I love it.

Leland.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:53 AM

Even though these "Bums" fished every day the occasional angler very seldom ran into them. They would park there car off the road and not afraid to walk a distance. Most anglers went home about 3 in the afternoon they would fish til dark. Then of course be out there at daylight the next day. Jerry
Old 06-21-2004, 01:47 PM

A misconception of a steelhead or trout bum is that they are snobs because they are elusive and will not how too every Tom, Dick and Harry. A good bum sees everything on the river including who is fishing. They have a way of telling who really loves to fish, maybe they see it in the sparkeling eyes. They never teach by monkey see or monkey do but by positive assurance a good word of those who also have the love and let the fisherman decide if he is really a fisherman or not. In this day of I want to be just because it's cool we have to many boasting that they can make those without the sparkel, the fishing soul into fishermen. The great fishing bums of the world are the very best at acting snobish to those that precieve tham as snobs.

The real steelhead fishing bum is a master out of love for what he does and he realizes he can't teach everyone to be fishermen nor is it worth trying. May they continue to remain snobs to all but those who really fish for the right reasons.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
...May they continue to remain snobs to all but those who really fish for the right reasons.
A most snobbish post: "...those who really fish for the right reasons."

However, I have to admit that I liked it, and agree!

--Bill
Old 06-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Pullin' Thread

Wet fly,

As one of my friends would say, "Isn't that what God gave you two legs for?"
Old 06-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Jolly Buddha

Smile

Jerry

All you have to do is look in a mirror, you are the steelhead bum!

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!

Last edited by Brian Simonseth; 06-21-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Banned

Well, made it 17 years without saying a word - not sure what
happened or why decided to be nice - what was I thinking! Just
like to fly fish, catch fish, and have fun peacefully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.