New personal best... - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Fly chucker

New personal best...

...crappie?!

Sure, it happens when I don't bring the camera. Bert and I took Friday off and hit a local resevoir hard for some warmwater fishing. I figured it would be a great day for topwater with the weather, and the fish didn't disappoint. Well, all fish except for largemouth that is.

The first fish, which I thought to be a largemouth, was actually the biggest crappie I've ever personally witnessed. It was 14.5" long and weighed nearly 1.5 pounds, and took a 1/0 Sneaky Pete slider I was slinging for bass on the edge of some pads. Not to be completely outdone, Bert followed that with another fish not quite as large, but still impressive at 12" and a hair over one pound.

Many panfish felt our hooks that day, but the bigger bass eluded us. Best flies were tiny jiggies, the Madame X, and marabou muddlers. We plan to hit it again soon for a graveyard shift in hopes of getting the big girls that are probably nocturnal.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 05:49 PM
_

Nice! Crappie are lots of fun, especially when they start to bulk up a bit. Too bad you didn't get photos. Then again, the camera tends to shave off a few ounces anyway .

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Fly chucker

I thought that the camera adds weight....or am I thinking of television cameras?
Old 06-22-2004, 02:36 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Thumbs up

Smashed my record of 13 inches, nice fish!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Possumface

ok im going to brag a little ive caught 18" white crappie out of my 1 acre pond. the crappie take my bass spinner baits. i dont know why they are growing so large, the pond is fed by natural springs which keeps the water aereated. there is also black crappie, largemouth bass, bluegills, channel cats, albino cats. which is alot fish competing . people would not think this quality of fish are right here under there noses and its in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.