Saco, Ellis, and Swift in 2 weeks - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 AM

Saco, Ellis, and Swift in 2 weeks

Hey all,
Looking forward to heading to N. Conway from 9-16 July. Can anyone pass on what I should expect, and which patterns to have in the box? I've heard that many of the major hatches have yet to come on due to a cooler Spring... Any info would be great... Thanks.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 10:22 PM

Its been too long since I've fished those waters. Is North Country anglers still in business? If so they'd be the shop to talk to.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:17 PM

Thanks, I wrote them a few months back and got some good info, and again recently, but haven't heard from them as of yet.

How long has it been? If it worked once it probably still will. Like a bike you know?

Thanks...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:38 PM

Bob its ~ 11 years since I've fished the area. Back then the hot flys for me were Hornbergs and traditional dries like Cahills, red quills & Adams. For starters now I'd go with Parachutes of the dries & a nymph on the point. Some ants, a caddis pattern & other terrestrials would be a good idea to have as well.

Local knowledge would be very helpfull to get you the right pattern. Unfortunately, I think mine is pretty out of date.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM

Back from NH

Well, we made it back. The weather up there was great. Never got above 78. The Saco was low, clear, and a long way between pools. We managed a few from it, but it is a tough river. The Ellis on the other hand was great. Nymphing pocket water for 13-16 in rainbows that didn't act like stockers. Fat healthy fish with really good fight in them. We also were able to fool some beautiful little native brookies, the biggest around 9 in. (a real lunker) The folks at North Country Angler were friendly and a great help. Wish I was still up there.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.