Streamer stick... - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Marine Scientist

Streamer stick...

For those of you that have spent some significant time swinging streamers, such as Peter SC... Looking to build a rod for streamers, both cast and trolled, sizes 2-10 on hooks up to 8x long for trout and salmon up to 24" or so in rivers and lakes; must also be able to handle the occasional pike, smallmouth, and coastal stripers in the 16-30" range. I'm thinking a true 8-wt., 10' rod built as a two-hand. Is this too heavy, or just right?

Blanks I'm looking into are the St. Croix SCIII and SCIV, which I think has the right amount of flex and is not too fast to load at shorter distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

Having caught a lot of smallmouth, trout, and large pike on a fly, I'd say the 8 wt. would be perfect for your intended purpose. It will be a bit big for the smaller flies; but perfect for the larger ones. And it will have the lifting power to get the bigger fish to hand in a reasonable time.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Marine Scientist

I knew I could count on you for some sage advice! After spending the week in Maine, we're headed back up there for another week next Wednesday... I ran out of the flies that the fish were slamming, so have to tie some new ones. The new rod will be for our annual forays into that beautiful state.

Do you have some thoughts on preferred rod action (i.e. faster tip versus more medium-fast action)?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

I always prefer fast-recovery, stiff rods, even in small line sizes unless I'm fishing really small mountain streams where a 15-20 foot cast is normal. This doesn't mean that everyone should run out and buy a fast-recovering, stiff rod though. Get the rod action you prefer because you will find it more pleasurable to use in a days fishing. I'd build it as a single-hand rod though because I don't like 2-hand rods under 12 ft and you already have a T&T 1208, which would be a great 2-hand rod to use for the same fish and fly sizes.

Also, the 10' 8 wt built as a single hand rod would allow you to strip the fly nearly to the rod tip and toss it back out to 60+ feet with a single false cast, and pike are notorius for following a fly nearly to the boat or shore. If built as a 2-hander, that may not be possible.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Fly chucker

Chris, I'd love to hear how the fishing was for you up in Maine. If possible, please provide some details for us in the appropriate forums when you have time.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.