Correct line for loomis glx 13ft 8/9 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2004, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to salmo636 Send a message via Yahoo to salmo636
Question Correct line for loomis glx 13ft 8/9

Hi there all

Just wondering if anyone out there has been using one of the above for a while and if you have found say an 8 line to work better than a 9 on the above rod or is anyone even using a ten line (which would be great if i could as then i could use the 10 line could double up for my 15ft glx 10/11 which i have just boughtand don't really want to buy another four lines to suit this-who says fishing is less expensive than shooting!!!) I am trying to get kitted out properly for my salmon fishing but am hearing conflicting reports on what lines are best suited to the rod. I know that different make lines and even different type lines react differently but just if anyone has one of the above and does a bit of fishing for either salmon or indeed steelhead i would just be interested to know what lines people have found to work well on the rod. I would be doing most of my fishing on say rivers small to medium sized rivers in Ireland and would be using lines such as wet cell 2, intermediate, floater, sink tips so nothing unusual there. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated indeed....
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Pullin' Thread

I've cast my 13' 8/9 GLX with a 9/10 RIO Midspey line and did not like it, it felt overloaded to me. However, if you like a slower rod, less stiff rod, the 9/10 MidSpey line will slow it down a bit because it will slightly overload it. I've also cast it with a7/8 MidSpey line; but did not like it because it was underloaded and did not cast well on the shorter casts of less than 60 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 02:04 AM
the speypages guy

flytyer,

so would that make the 8/9 midspey a good choice?

seriously, salmo I don't think you'll get away with a 10 weight line to do double duty. Have you considered a multi-tip line? If so you could buy one multi-tip line for your LIGHTER rod (say a 8/9) an a one-piece floater for your 10 weight, then cut and loop the one-piece floater 10 weight and use the tips for the 8/9 on that as well...

or better yet...consider a Loop Quattro 9/10. This is a multi-tip that would be a touch heavy on your GLX (but not bad as the GLX rods are fast) and light on your 10 weight (but not bad) but you could probably use it for both.

you might also want to post this question in the speyclave...
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 06-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Thanks Dana

I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE GRATEFULLY, many thanks for the reply..tight lines
Old 06-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

Dana,

Yes, I would use the 8/9 MidSpey or Long Delta or SA Spey on the rod. In fact, I use either the 7/8 GrandSpey or 8/9 MidSpey on mine.

Thanks for pointing out my carelessness in not so stating in my prior post, I should have not made that kind of oversight.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:07 PM

Thumbs up

I use a windcutter 8/9/10 multi tip line on this rod and it has worked really well, when i decided it was time to go with a line with a longer head i bought the Rio upgrade which extends the head from 54'6" to 69'6". It adds about 165 grains to the weight of the line but i did not notice any difference when casting and all who have cast it seem to like it. tight lines, brian
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 AM

Thanks Whiskey

Would You Believe - Only Last Nite I Loaded A Windcutter On To The Rod!! Many Thanks Indeed! Tight Lines You Too..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.