Clark's Stonefly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2004, 09:28 AM

Clark's Stonefly

Hey Ya'll,

Has anyone tried "super-sizing" (using Lee Clark's original Rx) Clark's Stonefly for Summer run Steelies or Salmon?

Any feedback would be truly appreciated.

Igor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Pullin' Thread

Igor,

I assume you are speaking about the one tied on a regular shank hook with the twisted polypropolene extended body, elk wing that is tied with a lot of brown hackle at the front. When greased, it floats like a cork. Should work very well on steelhead tied on say a #4 or #6 Tiempco 105 hook as a skater that dances on the hackle tips instead of plowing the surface like a Bomber, Walle Waker, or Lemires Grease Liner.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:15 AM

Hey 'F-T'

Thanks for the feedback! Actually , the Rx I was referring too was the original dressing with the poly-yarn under-wing that 'floats' above and parallel to the tinsel body.

After our discussion the other day on taking Steelies "on the dry" I thought I'd give Mr. Clark's flea a try. Think it'd work on a "light wire" up-eyed Salmon hook?

Igor

BTW - Finally found some Hot Pink GP tippets for the Red Knight! (grin)
Old 06-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Pullin' Thread

Igor,

It should work fine on the true low water hooks, like Alec's River Dee Low Water hook, Veverka's Low Water hook, or the Partridge Wilson. I'd tie it in either #6 or #8 and fish it as a follow-up "eater fly" after getting a rise (or showing) from a steelhead on a Bomber or Waller Waker.

Glad you found some hot pink G.P. tippets. If you ever have a hard time finding G.P. tippet in a color you want, they are very easy to dye. I usually dye 3 or 4 at a time in a dye bath composed of 1/4 teaspoon of a good acid dye (Jacquard's, Wash Fast, Kiton, or Fly Dye), about 1/4 teaspoon of synthrapol, and 2 quarts of water. Use a 1/4 cup of vinegar or a teaspoon of cirtic acid crystals in the dye bath to set the dye. Heat the dye bath to about 170-180 degrees F, stir the tippets once in a while, and in about 20-30 minutes you have beautifully dyed G.P. tippets.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:56 AM

clark stone

I have used the clark stone fished with a fairly sparse hackle,folded back over the deer hair wing, poly yarn over body ,and gold tinsel body. It is a favorite fly to fish for summer steelhead in summer,or fall. I fish it waking low in the water, with a riffle hitch. I have hooked fish on it with golden yellow poly yarn,as the body,and orange yarn as the bodycolor. I believe the yellow gold body imitates hoppers,or golden stones around the rivers in June thrue August,and the orange body imitates the October caddis in Sept.-Nov. It is a great producer for steelhead!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.