South Beach- 6/11 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 07:42 PM
President of CAC

South Beach- 6/11

I don't know how to explain this one...but NO ONE caught fish today.... North wind... 8 am shuttle.... Outside first... then as walked to the inside...the insiders were walking to the ocean... they were skunked to... Took the Shuttle with Rooster, his son, Jim S. and his son, Walt, Dave17, Fish Hawk, Dick, Dave Pearson and his client, and a bunch of other guys..... Everyone basically split up, I went to the ocean with Fish Hawk and Dick, Walt followed, Rooster and Sims, et al fished the inside... we have an outgoing tide most of the morning on both sides with the usual hour difference.... I left at 1 instead of 3... maybe things turned around later. But no one was catching at the drop off as I waited even with pods of sand eels visible.... It may have been a late hour thing .... back tomorrow to do both inside and outside.... BUT, I hope the wind changes... Everytime there is a north west or north wind... it's the same...hope for a south south west. Time to hit the outgoing at a Chatham landing to to hijack the empting of Pleasant Bay... at 5 AM..... Local Chatham buddies have suggested I am an idiot for not hitting the dawn patrol at those locations.

Last edited by striblue; 06-11-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 08:55 PM

SLLLOOOOWWWW

Yes, a slow day. Lots of fishing... I did manage one fish, about 26-27 but not a keeper.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:16 PM

Dick and I got nada. On the ride back talked to a flytyer from Conn. who got two fish and I think one other fisherman on the boat caught one. I think it had something to do with the wind direction. That's fishing.
FishHawk
Old 06-12-2004, 06:05 PM

Were you walking about the parking lot while we were getting our van towed? We saw a few faces going by that we speculated might be members here.

We stayed with Morris Island, John got a couple, Greg had some hits and a couple of blues IIRC. I lost a nice one while talking to a guy from NY. It was pretty slow for everyone it seems.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Amy and I did nothing as well.....saw only about 20 fish on the flats today vs over 300 3 days ago.....wind was terrible (direction and velosity).....never will go again with a N anything wind. Met up with Garry A and Jim S......at least we had great conversation.
Not a blue fish to be seen.....3 days ago, I fed them about 6 flies.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:21 PM
President of CAC

Today, 6/12 was the same for me... saw some schools on the inside moving north on the outgoing...but the ocean beach was quiet. I asked Keith to pick me up at 1:45, but I flagged down Tom on a 11:30...forget it, I was done.... two days of a North /North East wind is the kiss of death... at least at that location...BUT the good news is that the weather is the same for tomorrow Sunday...but we are expecting that sweet South West Wind. If it does happen...I bet, as has been the history of these conditions ,it could be hot tomorrow...so I am heading out on the 8 am...But need to head back to Boston at 2 ...so I am off at 12.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Sounds just like the 30th. The wind was honking that day out of the North, 20+ steady naughts and gusts higher. Some guys caught but like this nothing to write home about, just here.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Middle Aged Member

North wind is why I don't do squat at Southbeach. I go over there to get out of the wind on the bayside.

Good news is this morning i sighted some (a few) fish way up on the flats. With the chop and low sun angle I was seeing them too late to do anything about it but it's an improvement. Had one about small keeper size that was going to try to kiss my boot before I moved my foot and spooked him and me. Next couple of tide cycles should produce some good sight fishing if the weather holds another day or two. Bad news is I missed a bunch of hooksets and lost a few nice fish. Tied on another fly but left the barb and wouldn't you know it, a runt grabs it and takes it a bit deep. So much for the barb.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:12 AM

skunked

went to plum island sat for the am high. their was tons
of birds working, clouds of sand eels right on the beach.
and nothing.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

LOTS of shots both days (sat/sun) but certainly not an easy time out there. Fish required high precision casts and perfect presentations to hook, most likely because they were reaching a level of satisfaction with all the bait in town. On the plus side there were plenty of large (LARGE) fish both Saturday and Sunday, but the catching was pretty difficult unless you had some serious flats hours under the wading belt.

And then things get really tough out there in a few weeks
Old 06-15-2004, 03:40 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Yep, gotta agree it was a couple of tough days, especially after last week was so great. BUT, BIG BLUE and I were able to control the food/drink variables. When the fish don't bite...., a well stocked cooler is your best friend on the beach. Even, if I must take abuse from John M. and others!
I am headed back to CA now, so keep my spots warm until my next trip. I really enjoyed seeing all my New England buddies the past few weeks.
Cheers,
DK:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.