Some Ray's Flies - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2002, 01:02 AM
CantAnchorUs

A question that keeps poping up in my mind is, How many changes can be made to a fly and still call it by it`s original name? I remember an article I read in the Fisherman that once described a Rays fly as black bucktail over white over a silver body, if I had come up with the design I`d be mighty pissed ! The only change that I put into my Rays fly is the addition of small stick on eyes, which I think enhances the productivity. even this small variation begs the question, Is it still a Rays or is it a variant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2002, 05:31 AM
Flats Rat

Great question Slinger!

When Lineus came up with his classification system he was obviously considering this same issue

Unfortunately, we only have one name to put on a fly but there are countless variations that can be created out of a generic pattern by chosing a different color or material for individual components - this is particularly true with traditional patterns of trout and salmon flies.

Coming up with a fly and attributing or naming it incorrectly is not quite as bad as making a minor modification to an innovative new pattern and then claiming it as your own without reference to the idea it was based on.

Kenney Abrames gives a number of variations on Rays fly, each with different names in his books, but always acknowledges the originator
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Recent Member

Capt. Gordon, That is a material I'm not real familiar with. I'll look out for some. Another fly in the arsenal can't hurt when it comes to albies and the Marthas Vinyard derby this fall. I must try to enlarge your photo. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Recent Member

All flies were meant to be tinkered with in the hope of getting it just the way we want it. One must always give credit where it is due.

FYI-Kenny Abrams will be speaking in Duxbury, Ma. in April. Log on to Baymen Outfitters website for details.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:30 PM
NC Fly Guy

Castaway

For a bigger picture of the fly go to my website and look for the "Capt Gordon's Custom Flies" link. I would give you a straight referral link but my webserver would tell you that the page doesn't exist. Go to my homepage and then click away. You will find it. There are more flies there that you may find interesting too.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Here fishy fishy

Capt Gordon - nice fly. Albies in Pamlico Sound or around Harker's - now that's a a thought for next November...

I've tied up a Ray's variant that was an absolute bluefish slayer last year. Epoxy head w/ Olive over Yellow over White bucktail w/ a strand or 2 of flash. Throw in a red gill and small prismatic eye and there you have it.

Re the red gill effect, I've become fond of taking a second bobbin & tying in some red floss just behind the fly head, then epoxying over the eyes & 'gills'. Floss resists running like a marker & the epoxy is bluefish-proof. Assuming fly doesn't get bit off, after a day of bluefish mauling, I apply a bit of Sally Hanson clear Hard as Nails and it's a good as new - save for some chewed up bucktail.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Lightbulb a Ray's fly by any other name

call em what you will, but if you vary the recipe, it ain't no Ray's fly! he has a set method and even suggests counting the bucktail!!! the deceiver is a style of fly, as is the clouser. Ray's is a recipe of a hairwing streamer. I'm not trying to be a picky pain in the a## , but in his book he has other hairwings flies, and has other names... the razzle-dazzle for one. besides, if they're not Ray's, they can be the "Castaway Clouser", the "Tod's Tornado", Lefty's Lombada", "Striblue's Stealth","Deadly Doogue" etc... :eyecrazy: Tom D

Last edited by tomd; 02-15-2002 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Recent Member

Capt. Gordon, Thanks, I'll check the site out.

TomD, your absolutly correct, what I'm suggesting is we continue to tinker away till our heart is content. We can call the tinkered fly what we want, but not a "Rays Fly". That belongs to Ray Bonderew.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.