Remember the little change in the Sauk River? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Jolly Buddha

Smile Remember the little change in the Sauk River?

It took me a while to find this, but here is what I sent him.

I am writing to express my deep concern regarding the recent illegal destruction of critical salmon habitat along the Sauk River.

The Sauk is one of the most important salmon and steelhead producing rivers in the Northwest and one of only three Wild and Scenic rivers in Washington. It is home to Chinook salmon and bull trout that are listed under the Endangered Species Act. By bulldozing a quarter-mile-long stretch of the river, the perpetrators destroyed critical fish habitat. In addition, this illegal activity will worsen erosion problems for downstream properties.

Threatened salmon and other species must be protected from such egregious violations of the laws that protect our natural resources. This requires that your agency exercise its enforcement authority by conducting a thorough investigation of this illegal activity and meting out an appropriate penalty that will deter others from similar conduct.

I would appreciate a response to this letter explaining the action that your agency intends to take. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Brian Simonseth

Here is what Snohomish County Executive sent to me today.

Date: 06/10/04 13:34:48
Subject: Sauk River grading

Thank you for your e-mail to my office regarding the recent grading on the Sauk River near Darrington. In cooperation with the Department of Fish and Wildlife and other resource agencies, Snohomish County is actively investigating and pursuing enforcement proceedings against the owners of the properties where the alleged violations occurred. The case is complicated by the fact that there are multiple property owners involved on multiple properties, some of which are legally defined by the location of the river, which has recently changed its course. We anticipate that it may take several months to conclude our investigation.

Protection of our salmon resources is important to me and to the people of Snohomish County. Destruction of our rivers is not acceptable. Thank you for your interest and concern.

Sincerely,

Aaron Reardon
Snohomish County Executive
3000 Rockefeller, M/S 407
Everett WA 98201
425-388-3460

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!

Last edited by Brian Simonseth; 06-10-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 05:15 PM

Legal definition

of property based on a river that changes its course? Who would do that?

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 06-10-2004, 07:42 PM

thats long hand for screw the salmon we aren't doing anything....
Old 06-11-2004, 12:43 AM

Rob is pretty dead on!! Thats of course unless they feel some pressure to do otherwise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.