determination [long post] - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 AM

determination [long post]

First I must confess, I had only been out three times this season and, shockingly, I was 0/3. Never happened before!

So, the time has arrived that I wait for all year. A certain fortuitous combination of water temp, bait availabliity, season, tide and time of day combine to form that Holy Grail of all Piscatores, The Sure Thing.

Every year, year after year, for a two or three week period, large stripers congregate in an ideal ambush location, in the exact same place every season, like clockwork. Having long ago figured out the best time of year, best tides and best times of day, I can plan my trips as soon as the tide charts come out for the coming season. makes it real easy to plan vacation time.

Imagine my chagrin when I found that due to unusual workload, my company would founder if I took time off. Since there are only two of us, loss of half the work force would be disasterous.
Oh well, the actual fishing is all done at night. The vacation time is for sleeping. I'll sleep when I get old. The plan proceeds.

Imagine my deep F n chagrin when I came out to my car at the end of the day and found a puddle of coolant under it!. The car's on its last leg anyway, I hate to sink money into it, plus I really want to go NOW, so......a brief investigation revealed a small leak around the water pump which pissed very slowly. Nothing a wad of chewing gum and a few spare gallons of water won't cure! The plan proceeds.

To some the trip might seem cursed, I knew however that this was par for the course and perserverence would win the day. I kept myself so cheerful, instead of concern, I felt only awe at the sight of the World Class electrical storm which lit the sky during my whole ride to the river. The plan proceeds.

Surviving thje Wild Elements and dodging automotive failure, I arrive on the river only to discover when I was sticking the chewing gum on my water pump I had taken my flashlight out of the car and failed to return it. Oh well, the lightning storm was helping me see plus there are those convenient streetlights, so the plan proceeds.

Thankfully, no matter the the toil and turmoil of the human condition, the herring weree doing what they were supposed to do, the stripers were doing what they were supposed to do and the Sage and the Lamson were once again, going into their teenage years, doing what they were supposed to do.
Hope you don't mind if I'm light on details, lets just say best for the night broke 40, and I ain't talkin about my age, or my waist size.

PS To those few of you out there who know the secret spot I'm [not] describing, PLEASE DO NOT "OUT" IT ON THIS FORUM! Last time I posted on this spot it was revealed by a fellow poster with the result of a brief surge of attention to the spot. Luckily it's not for the faint of heart and most do not return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like you had your priorities straight that night! Great story.

Some spots are best left to a few dedicated hardcores.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:54 AM
President of CAC

Mike...coming to Chatham at any point?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:57 AM

Persistence pays. Nice work
Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Hey Mike,

Fishing in Falmouth again hah? What about the annual cookout fish?
I haven't wet a line this year yet. I needed to keep working at home and the office and finally will be getting out soon(quiet DB!).

John M.,

Coming to Chatham probably around the week of July 4th. Will get in touch.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM

It's easy in hind sight to be smug about it, but in all fairness, that one little trip had the potential to screw me up in several fun ways. I was lucky, really.
I thought I had out grown that kind of craziness. I plea temporary insanity due to unbearable stress levels and domestic upheaval.
The real challenge will be to see if me or my car will quit first. There are still at least three good tides left before next work week.

Lefty, thanks for rubbing salt in the wounds.
Not only did I fail to produce the traditional Memorial Day fillets for the first time ever, but I drew weekend duty and worked 22 hours that weekend. I didn't even go to a cook out to not bring fillets to!

One of these days I'm gonna get down there past Washburn Island. I'm a babe in the woods down there. Some kind anglers would have to point me toward the water.:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.