Flyfishing mags - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Fly chucker

Flyfishing mags

How many out there subscribe to ff mags? I get these:

1. American Angler
2. Fly Tyer
3. Saltwater Flyfishing

I also get the occasional Flyfish America from the guys at my local fly shop, and sooner than later I'll be getting Fly Fishing New England.

The three that I currently subscribe to cover most of the bases that I need. I primarily fish saltwater and warmwater with occasional forays into trout streams, and I tie my own flies.

So how about the rest of you? Are you pleased with the publications, and are there any other niches out there that could be filled with another mag?
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Here fishy fishy

I admit it: I'm a sucker for mags. I get the three below as well as Gray's and FlyFisherman. Soon, I'll add FF in NE too...

Generally same ol' stuff, but I like *most* of the writing in Gray's, have always enjoyed Flyfisherman & Am Angler and every once in a while find something good in SW Flyfishing. I'm just a pushover for the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm down to American Angler, Flytier & the occassional Flyfishing America.

Edit: I forgot On The Water.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:18 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
just fly rod and reel for now

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 06-09-2004, 07:40 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Being an avid hunter as well as fly fisher (and posessing somewhat of a literary bent) I know of no greater periodical than Greys Sporting Journal. I also have been known to drool uncotrollably over issues of Fly Tyer
Old 06-09-2004, 09:27 PM

Been there done that..

However at the present state of my " evoloution" I would rather fire bomb the printing presses!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:46 PM
CantAnchorUs

If your from the Northeast, OTW is the must have mag. I have always considered it essential since vol. I, which I still have.
Slinger
Old 06-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Pullin' Thread

I have subscribed to so many mags over the years that I've been fly fishing, I quit keeping count. However, there is only one that I now have a subscription to, it is Fly Rod & Reel. And about every fourth or fifth issue, I'll pick up Northwest Fly Fishing becaue it has an article in it that I'm interested in.

Grey's in terrific reading; but is doesn't have much fly fishing content so I categorize it more as a general hunting and fishing magazine. Much like a literate Outdoor Life.

The biggest problem I have with nearly all the fly fishing magazines is the me and Joe went to the Other Fork River with this guide named "John" who works out of the "Best Fly Shop Ever" located in Rivertown type of articles. We used these flies and fished from here to there and behind this rock in the "Hog Hole" pool fished as John directed and we caught us a mess 'o fish. So you all look him up and get yur supplies from the Best Fly Shop Ever and you too will git yurself a mess 'o fish. I wish they would quit this type of "informative" piece. Technique is one thing, a type of fly is another; but when they start telling the reader to go to this shop, use this guide, and fish behind that rock in this particular way, it is no longer about the river, the fish, or technique. It is instead, an infomercial for the guide, shop and specific place in the river, which you need the guide's expertise to find of course.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:20 AM
just say no to bait

None.

However I do stand in the drug store or the mag shop on BC ferries and read Rory Glennie's contribution to Canadian Fly Fisher.

Cheers N I
Old 06-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally posted by flytyer

The biggest problem I have with nearly all the fly fishing magazines is the me and Joe went to the Other Fork River with this guide named "John" who works out of the "Best Fly Shop Ever" located in Rivertown type of articles. We used these flies and fished from here to there and behind this rock in the "Hog Hole" pool fished as John directed and we caught us a mess 'o fish. So you all look him up and get yur supplies from the Best Fly Shop Ever and you too will git yurself a mess 'o fish. I wish they would quit this type of "informative" piece. Technique is one thing, a type of fly is another; but when they start telling the reader to go to this shop, use this guide, and fish behind that rock in this particular way, it is no longer about the river, the fish, or technique. It is instead, an infomercial for the guide, shop and specific place in the river, which you need the guide's expertise to find of course.
I can't argue with you at all on this one, Russ. Good point.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Fly Rod & Reel
On the water
Old 06-15-2004, 02:35 AM

mags

add to that nw flyfishing, homewaters, saltwater flyfishing and canadien flyfisher and the list will be complete until some goofball will come along with another mag that i will have to buy. i think i am getting about a dozen now.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:48 AM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I should probably subscribe to fly tier ( I end up buying it off the shelf anyways ) That and I occasionally get fly rod and reel.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Marine Scientist

In no order of preference...

FFISW
FFAmerica
Fly Tyer
Fly Fisherman

Used to get Saltwater Fly Fishing, but after they went to the new format I let my subscription expire. I read Fly Tyer cover to cover and enjoy most of Fly Fisherman. The other two I'll probably let expire, also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.