I can't catch fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Chief of E.P.

I can't catch fish

Forgive me for stealing an idea from Dana and his "My Casting Sucks" but it occured to me this morning that I can't catch steelhead and perhaps there are others out there that could benefit from also sharing their inadequecies.

Hi my name is Sinktip and I can't catch steelhead. No matter what I do, I can't manage to ever catch one of these mythical creatures. I am not sure that they even exist as the few people I fish with can't catch them either. I have tried the fanciest flies, the coolest tackle, the most breathable waders and even the fishiest hat. Oh wait, some mornings I don't even wear a hat and I still can't catch fish. Either way, I have moved beyond my feelings of shame and decided to embrace my failures.

What say you, you brothers of the skunk, are you willing to unite with me and proclaim that you too cannot catch steelhead? There is strength in numbers and maybe, just maybe, if we all come out of the closet then we can throw off the yoke of not catching and move onto other pursuits. I heard of a 40+" yellow perch caught off a house boat on Lake Washington. Now that is a goal to strive for.

What say you my brethren?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 10:22 AM

I am call BS to Tip on this I witness Duggan beach fish.

I watched you drag in that NW golden bone yesterday. :hehe:
Old 06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Chief of E.P.

Andre,

And for the record, I pulled that fish out of your hip pocket too but alas, my fledgling organiztion is only concerned with steelhead. And I know you cannot honestly post that you saw me beach one of those.

Perhaps you are just not to the point where you can acknowledge your issues. You need to continue to strive to catch a steelhead. I suggest you find a sansei, someone to show you the arts of the masters. Then if you are still unable to catch a steelhead, my group will welcome you with open arms.

I apologize if this does not apply to you and you are catching steelhead. Since I have yet to receive my morning fishing report, this may in fact be the case

st
Old 06-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Banned

There must be a 12 step program!

Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

I'm with ya, 'tip!

Every 3rd or 4th trip or so, I'll get a hard pull on the other end and think the stink might finally be lifting.

But it's been so long since I've actually seen a steelhead up close that even seeing even a dead one lying on the bottom is exciting! Hell, even the side-drifters fishing around me have been skunked of late.

My latest theory is that my sweat has some genetic Steelhead-repelling component in it. I've tried every hat I have - I was certain the Wild Steelhead's Coalitions very stylish cap would be the ticket as the "Release 'em Alive" slogan was sure to convince the Steelhead Gods that I meant no harm. :hehe:

But Alas, 4 trips and it's done me no good at all!

All I can suggest is - if you see me fishing somewhere, LEAVE THE RIVER IMMEDIATLY! It's a Steelhead Free Zone!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:57 AM

well seeing as you are looking for a report, well...

On the upper run I got a dollie at the break, on the lower run I missed a pull while stripping in running line (guessing another dollie). Yesterday too much lightning:eyecrazy: Me no like lightning. I'm thinking I'll be able to hit it again tonight.

BTW, that other access point I mention I was right on the name the hours are 8-dusk but I think it puts you right into the upper run.

cryptic enough?

Oh, level was up a little and slightly more color.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Don't believe a word sinktip is saying. Why? A good steelheader never gives out real information. Last night I was at a dinner and some of the greatest steelhead fishermen ever to live were there and when asked to publicly give a fishing report everyone of them said there are no steelhead, no rivers to fish them in and no flies to catch them with. Like sinktip they can look you strait in the eye and tell you steelhead mis-information. If you are a steelhead fisherman it can only be this way. To let you all no and this is no mis-info, I never catch steelhead anymore, I never even fish for them anymore.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:03 AM

OC, I guess we could apply this to your politics?

OHHHH just too good to resist

andre
Old 06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Chief of E.P.

Cryptic enough -- yep but I used the standard substitution cypher and decrypted it. 8-dusk, no wonder I was unaware

OC is partly right, he never catches steelhead anymore and rarely even fishes for them. Love will do that. Women, could they truly be the root of all evil? I might vote yes but my wife claims steelhead are the root of all evil. Could this be mis-information as well?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Banned

Sounds like an excuse for not being able to
catch fish. Hmmmm - so your saying that all
real Steelhead fly fisherman are dishonest.
Whats wrong with this picture!

:eyecrazy:
Old 06-09-2004, 11:42 AM

I've been going to the rivers with the best steelheaders I know hoping to glean any little nugget of information I can. I've even lost my dollie juju and my smolt count is way down.

Leland.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:43 AM
LBFF Mojo

Well I for one will join the club. Been a long time for me.

It is so bad I have forgone my normal OC inspired camo gear I got from GI Joes and now have gone to this outfit. If you see me on the river there will be no reason to ask me how the fishing is going. The kicker is it breathes like a pair of $400 waders. Just do not sneak up on me cause my periphery vision sucks and I spray when startled.

No steelhead here, move along now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skunk.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	3329  
Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM

on a more serious note. I know why you guys's success rate is lower than during the winter run!!! the answer can be found in the state of Washington's summer run stock. Skamania stock summer steelhead are very poor biters for the swung fly. my advise.. head to the cowlitz the Cowlitz stock are much better biters... or you can wait for fall when skamanias bite a little better..
Old 06-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When life gives you lemons... I got to a deep swung cornfly and perfect my golden native technique!

Cornfly:

One dollup elmers glue on shaft of globug hook
Old contact lens, painted yellow
Use Bic lighter to melt contact lens in shape of a kernel
Tip: poke out a hole to hold purina cat chow for more nibbles or niblets

Cut an 800 grain deep water express in the middle and loop on with fat part forward. Use approx 3 inch leader.

Hang down is key. Find spots where the current is flowing in the opposite direction as the rest of the river. A forked stick is useful in conserving energy between casts.

I like to wear gloves in case I catch one. There fish are like a bar of soap to hold for the picture before release, or if you need to clean one for the table.

There are many good books on this type of fishing. There is some good text in a book describing anglers Huck Finn and Tom Saywer but they used a stick and string, not a $10000 spey rod. Same thing.

Also, try a muddler in the fast water at the crack of dawn. Some of the chromer carp have been known to appear on occasion this time of year
Old 06-09-2004, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure SS if you were addressing your post to my last post. I usually don't bother reading your posts.

I did not use the word real steelheaders I used the words greatest and good steelheaders. But I can apply it to any good fisherman or fisherwoman be they striper, trout or any game fish for that matter. They don't brag and they know the value of going about doing what they love without any phony bragging about fish they catch. Mis information is not dishonest when it comes to fishing. Sort of like having someone ask you how big your cattle ranch is or how much money you make, it's personal.

I dislike people like you who boast about your fish and say you are just trying to help out poor souls who don't know how to fish. Your just trying to show that you are a bigger person than the little person complex it is rumored by many that you have. I think I'll go into the inner city and boast I make 250 K a year as a water consultant hoping that will make them more wealthy and better educated.

SS go fishing take your kids and don't boast to us here how good you are. We all know how to fish here and choose to do so traditionally. We challenge ourselves this way because your methods are boring to us. If we were catching 20 fish a day and so many 41 inchers as you we would be bored out of our minds and look for more difficult ways to hook up. But I don't think you get that do you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.