A great time to live in striper country - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A great time to live in striper country

What a fantastic time to live within driving distance of the beach... big fish are really coming on strong.

I love to guide on the flats but some days not being the one taking the shots can be tough Especially when there are submarines coming over the flats looking like they are mowing us down. Time for another "scouting" trip soon

We found Friday to be the best of the days although fish were everywhere on Thursday too. Saturday was a day when it would be best to stay put near the boat landing and to the north due to an infusion of sand eels in the upper south beach area, low vis on the flats and most fish were staying put with the feed back on.

Anyway, things are definitely poppin!

Dan with a great catch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dansfish.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	3307  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2004, 11:15 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Unhappy On-call blues....and NOT the toothy ones!

Juro- I've been stuck on-call this weekend, with no time to try out my new Atlantis yesterday (awesome weather) or today (drizzling). Every time my pager goes off I have to fight the urge to swear a blue streak, especially when the person paging me leaves the wrong number for me to call them back at, or they have some block on the phone that requires another call with an additional 4-5 digits to get around. THe only thing that keeps me going is the promise of the next few weekends....I ordered both the 35' and 45' DI-7 shooting heads (with a 30# intermediate running line) from TackleDirect.com, and bought a 600 grain Orvis Depth Charge Sinking line locally (just to try things out in my off hours this weeks). Looking forward to our outings on the 19th/20th, and the Rip Trip on the 26th or 27th. Until then, play me that tiny little violin of sympathy....:hehe:
Shep
Old 06-06-2004, 05:15 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
wrong turn 6-6

The wind was honking today. Talked to Dave Pearson and Craig (CSJ60) at the refuge in the a.m. after tying some flies with Rooster and friends. Dave had clients due, but on a charter early and into fish. He told them to stay put on the charter. Since Keith was not running, Craig and I decided to park on the Causeway and walk over to S. Beach. Bad decision.

My buddy, Ed Bottegal, was on Morris Island on the incoming. Idismissed the thought of joing him since South Beach had been so good the last few days. He landed a 40.5 inch cow. His largest striper previoualy 26 INCHES. He said there were a lot of large bass caughyt in the area.

Meanwhile, Craig and I each landed one apiece. No pods in the area, but some single large fish on the flats. Terns were working on sand eels, but the areas we fished had few opportunities.

But...there is tomorrow. Congratulations Ed.

Simms
Old 06-06-2004, 05:29 PM

Hi Jim. I plan on a Chatham trip Tuesday (arrive mid/late morning)and fish Morris. Then an overnighter and SB on Wednesday. Will be calling Keith to see if he is running. Hated to miss the weekend due to bad weather. Hope to see you and others there.
Can't wait to get in 2 days in a row. Hope the weather forecast holds...supposed to be good.
Ron
Old 06-07-2004, 08:07 AM

Nice pic!

Man was that a familiar sight out there on Thursday and Friday. Couple of mind-blowing days of sight fishing

It got snotty fast yesterday. Picked a couple of nice blues 25-30" and mid 20" bass around Morris I. Saw penguin and friend toughing it out despite the windy wet and cold conditions.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:25 AM
CantAnchorUs

With the boat still in the shop I had to fall back on the old ways. Checked the forcast and tide charts and hoped I could get a couple hours before the weather moved in. Decided on a quick trip to Scorton rather than the long drive to Chatham. The creek was loaded with fish but one flaw in the plan, It`s changed so much since my last visit. The delta gets so low that the fishing dried up an hour and a half before low. Lots of dinks and a few respectable fish at about half tide. Of course the weather held off all day and I was kicking my butt for not making the longer run.
Slinger
Old 06-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Recent Member

Question Stripers in Chatham area

Hi Juro,
I am heading out to Chatham this coming week to try for some stripers with my nephews . I am heading out there for the first time. I will be flyfishing and would like to know if you would share some spots to try. I have a 4wd if that helps. I was also considering heading out to Monomoy. I will be staying near the Chatham light house. I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Landlocked Grizzly

Send a message via AIM to Sephon
Congrats, on the great fishing Jim. Glad to hear that all is well. And a big congratulations to Ed. I'm looking forward to coming up this week and trying again this year.

P.S.- How about giving your son a call and telling him these things, eh?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:58 PM

I was over on the ocean side of south beach on sat and
caught my biggest fish to date. I did not have a tape
but estimated at about 38" to 40" and one at about
29" both fish were taken on the outgoing tide.
not the sight fishing bonanza of the last two weeks
but still lots of fun. Dave your crazy hair clouser
is deadly.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Nice Jim,
Drew and I fished The Morris Island rip Tuesday last and I pulled out a fat 30". Probably caught close to 30 fish that morning between us. Must be nice living half as far away as me.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Re: Stripers in Chatham area

Quote:
Originally posted by fisjin'fool
Hi Juro,
I am heading out to Chatham this coming week to try for some stripers with my nephews . I am heading out there for the first time. I will be flyfishing and would like to know if you would share some spots to try. I have a 4wd if that helps. I was also considering heading out to Monomoy. I will be staying near the Chatham light house. I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Just seeing this...

few questions and I might be able to help:

How old are your nephews?

Are they also flyfishing?

Do any/all have waders?

How long are you planning to be out with them and what start/finish times?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:22 PM

hey - this site has yielded so much info to me I wanted to share my first trip to striper nirvana...
Drove down solo thurs night, slept on the hard ground at Scusset beach. Up with first light and on to Chatham.
Rigging up at the refuge, I was amazed at the scene of ff'ers. All were congenial as it promised to be a standout day.
I decided to zig when everyone else zagged and went to North Monomoy when everyone else went to South Beach. Just had that feeling and I wanted feel my own way rather than follow a crowd.
Two other guys went over with me and were incredibly helpful. We picked up a few off the drop offs as we waited for water to fill the flats. Then it was slow going for a while.
The flats never really got going, and I started to slog back to the pickup (1pm early, as i had folks to meet: this was also a social trip). Swung my sinking line through a nicely forming rip and picked up 3 in 5 casts, then I had to huff it back. Nothing too big.

Waiting for my brothers, I walked out to the first point on Morris Island and congratulated a happy guy dragging a 40" off the beach. Here I had my first real ocean sight-fishing experience, with fish in 18" of water and some small clouds of bait. I had two follows right to the guides, but no hookups. Heart racing and casting skills shot by the adrenaline/nervousness.

Next day was late - the social part took its toll on the fishing to an extent.

South Beach. Picked up a mid-20s and a good blue from the surf. Waited for the flats to happen but it never did. Back over to the surf side, working the beach all the way to near the drop off. There I hooked into a monster that I watched take my fly right in the wash at my feet. A few headshakes and it peeled out. tightened drag and gently applied palm pressure - tink! After a Rasheed Wallace-style freak out I inspected my new flyline to see that the Orvis-tied nail not on the loop connector had failed. AAArg!Highlight of the day was my Dad picking up his first ever striper.

I am having dreams about that fish.
Wish I lived closer to Nirvana.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.