Wachusett Reservoir, or poor planning promises poor performance - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 01:11 PM

Wachusett Reservoir, or poor planning promises poor performance

This morning was going to be a trout morning until I slept late and realized that for family harmony I'd better wait until my son left for school to leave. After the late start I headed to Wachusett reservoir for the morning. For those who are not in Massachussetts this reservoir is a source of water for Boston & the region. Over the years it has produced several state record fish despite being limited to shore fishing only.

Arriving at a favored parking location on the reservoir I gathered my stuff and headed off after realizing that the bug spray and sunscreen were in the bag for fishing with the kids along with my hat at home. I then compounded that by leaving the stripping basket and a spare spool with a sinking tip line in the car.

I walked to one of my favorite spots stopping along the way to pick up a small small mouth and a chunky sunfish. It was a good start to the day. The favorite location was baren so I headed on to a sandy peninsula where in the past I've picked up yellow perch. 3 casts after arriving on the sand bar I hooked a nice bass ~ 16" long that I Ldr'd after deciding that I should put it on the spool rather than horsing it in.

After some observation that sure would have been easier with a hat I observed that there was a school of bass pushing fry into the shore, and traveling back and forth along the shore as the fry moved. So back and forth along the shore I followed cursing leaving the stripping basket in the car every time I snagged a branch. I managed to pick up 1 more smally durring this back and forth then decided it was time to head back to the car before the sunburn started.

Passing by the favored spot mentioned earlier I saw that bass were in deep water and moving about. I couldn't get the fly down to them in time to present it on the floating line I had on so once again I cursed my poor planning for leaving the sink tip in the car. After about 15 minutes of frustration and realizing that I didn't have any clouser that approached the forage colors I walked back to the car. Once there I pulled the ticks off and headed home frustrated by my poor planning.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 09:55 AM
_

Well, I'm sure you've heard that old saying about a bad day of fishing . . .

It is frustrating when you know the fish are there and are probably catchable but you don't have the right stuff to get 'em.

I have never fished Wachusett but have read many reports about nice fish being caught there. Most of those reports make no mention of fly fishing, however, so I've wondered how fishable it is with the fly rod.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Q, Yes I know that saying. Frustration continued Friday when I took my son there and he couldn't get them with a night crawler and I couldn't with a variety of dark side lures.

Fly fishing at Wachusett is possible in many spots, but with the amount of shoreline, ~ 17 miles, it takes a long time to learn where to go. Normally the farther from the car the better. Also if the water level is down its better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.