Fishing Chatham - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Recent Member

Question Fishing Chatham

I am heading out to Chatham this coming week to try for some stripers with my nephews . I am heading out there for the first time. I will be flyfishing and would like to know if you would share some spots to try. I have a 4wd if that helps. I was also considering heading out to Monomoy. I will be staying near the Chatham light house. I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Your best bet would be the Morris Island/South Beach/Monomoy area. Park your vehicle on the side of the road across from Stage Harbor of the Morris Island Road (do NOT park past the private property sign indicating where the town road ends), and either hike up to the Morris Island Refuge at the end of Wiki's Way (if you want to fish the Morris Island beach only) or hop into the Rip Ryder shuttle van (red) if you are planning on taking the Rip Ryder ferry ($10 each) over to South Beach or Monomoy. If you're taking the ferry, call Capt. Keith Lincoln (508-945-5450) at least a day or two beforehand to make sure he's running that day and to reserve a spot. Another option (considering where you are staying) would be to hike to the beach in front of Chatham light, then head south down South Beach. As for the 4wd, you can't use it on the beaches that permit 4wd vehicles without a special 4wd sticker, which cost about $160.....
Good luck!
Shep
Old 06-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There has been an infusion of sand eels in to the area and the spring build up is now stirred up by their arrival. One has to think about how the fish will feed on them to have the best success. Fish are currently benefiting from shoals of bait staying up inside the refuge areas and thus not really roaming around on the flats the way they were just prior to the sand eels arrival. But these shoals will likely not stay too long in such thick numbers and things should get back to normal anytime now. A very reliable approach is to find the basins where the sand eels are concentrated during minus tides and the fish will be right in there with them right through the low tide where they would normally have left with the tide.

One way is to deal with the oceanside beaches with sinking lines fishing a sand eel pattern low and slow, hopping it along. Hook-up patterns of course to avoid snagging and debris.

Another is to find tidal outlets where the bait is put at a disadvantage and swing the flies down and across. Or just find the blitz and hang on tight!

Or find a quiet estuary like the Stage Harbor inlet and twitch a slider along on a dawn or dusk flood tide.

Good luck, Chatham is my striper "home water" and I am confident you will find that area a mecca for SW flyfishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.