Chatham- 6/4 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
President of CAC

Chatham- 6/4

What a bueatiful day and some nice fish...nice fish for my second student, whom I hope I successfully taught him the right way to double haul. Good to hang out also and see Jim Sims and his buddy, Roster ,Walt and his buddies, Big Dave , who headed to secret spots as usual. The outside of south beach was barren from the incoming to high, but did see some big solitary fish and a couple schools, but the inside was chock full of stripers and some big blues mixed in. Jim and Roster headed down south.... Yesterday, I met them for breakfast at Larry's, Big Bacon and eggs, etc, The these guys are eating again waiting for the ferry at 12 noon, AND planning their dinner.... and each had huge bags od food and drick to go out.. Saw Juro's truck and Dave P's car..... so we had a full house out there thurs and today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 11:40 PM

6/5

Jim S. took home a nice 36" striper. I got 2 keepers 28 - 30. Fished the outside but not much happening, worked the outside hard but not much to show for my effort. Move in side, lots of bait and fish... some nice fish on the inside.

Jim, good to see you and a very nice fish.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:00 AM
President of CAC

The outside maybe slowing down a bit, but it's time for that to happen, Mid June. the outside will start to take on the summer mode... there will still be fish but not like mid May to late May.... time to move in the inside now.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:01 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Chatham Area

Friday was memorable on both the outside and the inside with ideal sighting conditions. Large pods and fish. Saturday was tough sighting with cloud cover. Not much on the outside, but some large fish on the inside. Kept one 36-incher for Rooster's barbie Saturday night.

Great to see a lot of the forum members this week, Striblue, Penguin, CSJ60, Juro, Chris, Dave Pearson, Big Dave et al.

I'll be on the flats thru the end of the month, so give me a yell if you want to linkup.

Simms
Old 06-07-2004, 08:59 AM

What a great day. Good seeing everyone on the water.

Saw FREAKISHLY large fish in the surf AM. Clearly 40" singles but not many of them. Got on the flats early. Had to wait but when they started coming it was lights out for a couple hours. Hit a couple of borderline keepers, then picked a 38" out of a pod of 2. My biggest landed on the flats and what a rush watching her sip the fly.

Once the conga line of anglers waded in the fish started running farther out...out of casting range in many spots. Interesting to note because the day before they were running very close...but there was about 1/3 less people out there.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Flats Rat

Good to hear you guys connected over at Chatham.

I fished over on the Bay side and the action was red hot on the flats Thursday and Friday morning and then the fish seemed to evaporate. We did find some fish over the rocks outside of Sesuit harbor and got a look at one which probably went over 30lb.

On Saturday we took a ride out into CC bay and joined the "fleet". Now I understood where all the stripers had gone. Huge half-acre rafts of sandeels about 7" long and 1/2" in diameter just inside the 60ft line were giving the Stripers an early summer feast. Fly fishing was hard work but I picked up a nice 35 incher and Todd landed a 20 pounder.

With that much bait offshore it makes you wonder why fish bother with the inshore habitat at all. Let's just be thankful that they do
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Middle Aged Member

Saw a Cherokee with a blue Tarpon on the roof at a Bayside gin mill Saturday evening on my way to the beach. So I figured I'd find out about the fishing out in the bay. There wasn't any bait inshore on the bayside and other than pockets of schoolies, no fish either. It's been very tough for the guy on foot, on weekends. Talked to a new friend Friday night and he says things have been pretty good, during the week. I'm Outta phase with the weather pattern I guess. Same thing happened last year, but I'd be on the tail end of a stable period on weekends and did pretty good with large fish under the clouds and in the fog. Sight fishing was lousey though. Maybe next weekend.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Chatham - 6/4

Fred,

I feel your pain.

I seem to be in the same kind of situation down here, but it's gotten so bad that people are calling me to find out when or if I am going out on a particular date. If I tell them yes, they decide to stay home and catch up on chores. If I say no, then out they go and I later hear of suicidal 40 inch stripers and kamikazi blues over 15 pounds...all on flies.

Guess we're working off some seriously bad karma.

Oh well...as you say, "maybe next weekend".

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 06-09-2004, 08:25 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Hey John,
Just getting back on line! Too much time fishing, tying flies, eating, drinking with my New England buddies!
It's been an unbelievable fishing week. The "lunch bucket" has not let us down either! One of my outfitter buddies from Colorado used to have an expression " the only two variables you can control in the outdoors is your food and your equipment", we make damn sure none of our buddies is let down in grocery department...., come to think about it....., I think you scarffed a few spare ribs, pastries and chips over the past few trips from the old blue bag...,
Gotta get off, the blues today are making me "replace some inventory" in the fly boxes.
See you at RR on Friday am.
Bon appetit'
DK:hehe:
Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 PM
President of CAC

Ok , Bring the food! See you Friday Morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.