Opinion time----What 6 flies..... - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately I lack the technology to post photos, but the flies aren't that complicated. I use a heavy streamer hook (steelhead hooks work well) usually a #2 or 1/0. I tie it so the rabbit strip hangs about three inches past the hook bend, and hold the rabbit strip along the top of the fly by ribbing it with wire or heavy thread. For a body, chenille works as well as anything, but you can get fancy and use dubbing. Don't make the deer hair head too big, or you won't get it to fish under the surface. One final tip--figure a way to have the rabbit strip come off the hook bend encased in a 1" piece of EZ body or mylar tubing. This minimizes the rabbit strip wrapping around the hook bend.
Writing this makes me want to tie some. I think the temp outside is around 5 degrees. It will be a while before I get to use them!
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Fly chucker

Thanks for the detail. In place of mylar tubing, I might try this with a simple wire loop guard to keep the tail from wrapping around the hook bend.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

I'm glad someone mentioned wooly buggers. Great subsurface lure! Works great for bluegills and crappies as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.