What next? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Recent Member

What next?

Howdy folks,

I just looked up this forum and i'm trying to get in on the learning curve. I bought my son and I a couple of 8 wt. 9' combos from Scientific Angler a while back and we just got to use them last weekend. We went after some bluegills at a local state park. It took me a little while to get started but we caught a 1/2 dozen in about 2 hours. Not bad for the first time out, and I don't know when I've had a better time. I 've found out that the enjoyment is not in the catching... it's in the fishing.

I'm planing to take a clinic at a local dealer in the next few weeks. Can anyone sugest books or videos that would help a beginer?

Thanks,

Rusty <><
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Welcome to the forum Rusty. Two books i would strongly recomend are L.L. Bean's Ultimate Book of Flyfishing and the second edition of Tom Mcnally's "everything book" (can't quite remember the name). Hope they help.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Recent Member

great video

Hey guys,

I went back to "The Fly Shop" in Titusville where I bought the rods for my son and I to ask about what beginner's books he had. He sugested a video tape instead. The one he sugested is "The Art of Fly Casting with Chico Fernandez" I have to say that it is a very good tape. Well done and very easy to understand. A lot of the casting is done inside against a black background so the fly line is very visible and you can see exactly what it's doing.
I don't feel bad about paying to get into the learning curve. I just wish I'd done it many years ago when I had the chance. I remember once when I was in the second grade. Someone was going to give me a fishing rod. He had two of them. One was a spinning rod and reel. the other was a fly outfit. If I'd only taken the fly rod... how different life would be. Funny, I just remembered that too.

thanks,
Rusty in Fla. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.