Atlantis Tip Section - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2004, 08:34 PM

Atlantis Tip Section

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the Atlantis tip section tight? (Other than checking it every few casts) I was thinking tape around the ouside or wax, but don't want to do any damage or prevent the rod from being taken apart. Suggestions appreciated.

-SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Flats Rat

Hi Merrick

I use wax on mine and it works great.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can't tell but I have to wonder if you are having the tip loosen up. I have not had a problem with the upper ferrule coming loose but I do check it a lot unless it's taped.

Some people I've watched do not secure ferrules very well when assembling, although since you're asking this question I know you are careful. I always use a little twist and good pressure to assemble ferrules. In other words press them together a little off center and twist them into alignment firmly.

If you are fishing for a while you might as well tape it. Most two-handed rods are taped, especially on the upper ferrule(s) which are harder to check. Spey casters (the majority of) are religious tapers of ferrules, and it would be certainly be wrong to use another's two-handed rod without taping their ferrules, etc. Might as well tape for oneself too.

Although overhand casting is far less susceptible to the torque and twisting of spey casts, it's entirely possible that the upper ferrule comes loose and the best way to avoid ruining a fishing trip is to put some electrical tape spiraling around from one half and over the joint to the other half to hold them together.

If you keep a good coating of pure parrafin or bees wax on the joint it will help, but I've found that extreme temperature changes through the day can render wax pretty useless especially for mid-day anglers who start in the morning or end in the evening.

The best medicine is to tape, otherwise check the ferrule through the day. If you are doing snake rolls or spey style casts and setups, you're probably better off using tape like the spey casters do out west and in the UK and Scandinavia.

Here is a ton of discussion on taping ferrules from the Forum and Speypages:

Taping Ferrules - Discussions from Forum/Speypages
Old 06-04-2004, 11:17 AM

-Juro

Twisting each section after firmly pressing it on to the next seems to be working much better than just pushing one section on to the next. Thanks for the help.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.