Well??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well???

For us deprived non-fishing weekend warriors, where are the reports? I am jonesin' here :eyecrazy:

Don't tell me you're all too tired and sore from battling big fish to post about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
President of CAC

Ya Well.... I got a late start. I drove my daughter to a friend in Brewster.... Got to the Rip Ryder at 10:30 and found out Keith had stopped running to South Beach. I understood from Keith that some guys went out early, probably Big Dave and Flydoc, who I was suppose to meet. So the only place for me for a couple hours was at Morris Island along with 10 other guys. Nothing going on and the wind was still honking. Meet up with Brendan O'Brien. I called it quits and he went to Claflins Landing, but it was honking there as well............so, with my daughter sleeping over a friends tonight and the forcast for less wind...I will be down at Morris at 7 AM and catch the 8 am to south..... Great report huh?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:02 PM

Better than working!

But why no runs to SB? Wind?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:25 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

John- I'll be there....too bad you didn't make it today. The beach side gave up some schoolies to me this AM, despite the wind and surf. I was having no success at the steep area of the beach across the dunes from the RipRyder drop-off, so I hiked a little further south to where the beach flattens out a bit and the surf wasn't as nasty. There I got my first true "sightfishing" experience, as I was able to see pods of schoolies swimming north close to shore and cast to them. Total score- 3 schoolies caught and one at-my-feet refusal. Better luck tomorrow!

Juro- after todays' outing, couldn't resist the urge to drive up to Kingston to buy an Atlantis and matching Lamson reel from your buddy Smitty ( who also taught the right way to pronounce your name; sorry I've been butchering it all this time!), who was kind enough to put free backing on both the reel and the spare spool I bought. Unfortunately he had no matching lines; to his credit he did not try to sell me what he had on hand, as he was honest enought to admit the lines he had were not suited for the two-hander. I also bought some killer flies from his impressive collection of locally-tied offerings....definitely going to give him more business in the future! As much as I'm tempted to just pick up a 12 wt line from Fishing the Cape at 7 AM tomorrow and slap it on so I can give the rod a spin, I think it would be better if I could get more appropriate lines as mentioned in your posts. By the way, where could I get a Hardy Mach I line? Their website does mention the Natick shop as a Hardy dealer, but do they carry their lines as well as their reels?
Shep
Old 05-29-2004, 10:38 PM

Good choice, especially for the migratory fishery. It will take a little practice but before you know it you'll be dropping the fly in front of even the furthest pods with ease. Ease is the key, most people over-power the Atlantis, as unlikely as it might seem. It's designed to do the work for the caster, if you let it. Longer rods (even those with IM8 modulus) take a little more time to come around, so find the rhythm.

I won't be down this weekend but if you can hook up with Paul Cheever (striperstripper) or Penguin you can get two good perspectives on lines. Paul uses the 12wt Intermediate Tarpon line from Wulff, very nice taper and matches beautifully with the rod, and Penguin uses the airflo fast sinking shooting head which will reach out and touch the fish pronto and get down in their strike zone very quickly, an important aspect if the water is a little deeper where they cruise.

The Wulff is a very comfortable and feel-good line, the shooting head will give you more distance and get down and dirty in front of the pods much faster.

Focus on a consistent 100-120 ft cast and you will bump your ratio from a few hookups per dozen pods to 8-10 hookups per dozen pods.

Lines I like for this fishery:

Wulff 12wt Intermediate Tarpon line (coldwater light blue)
Airflo 35ft DI-7 12wt Shooting Head
Hardy Mach I 10/11 (not the plus, standard Mach I) shooting head or full line

If using the Intermediate, give ample time for the fly to reach their column of depth before stripping, which means lead them.

BTW - they are not all schoolies.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:21 AM

Flydoc great that you caught those fish site fishing. Hope to run into you in a couple of weeks. Tight lines. I think the Rooster wil be down the second week of June you might want to PM him as he has an Atlantis and could also help you out.
FishHawk
Old 05-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Middle Aged Member

Too windy yesterday. Did fish in the river last night. Bunch of schoolies. Met Basser on the bayside. Too windy and cold so we went to Chatham. We caught a couple in front of the light, but pretty quite.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:21 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

5/30- skunked!
Caught the 8AM RipRyder with John and Pete- no luck today. Saw fish, but no bites. Twisted my left ankle a bit fighting surf (another very windy day), so switched to observation mode to try to hone my fish-sighting skills. Saw a group of big ones moving north-south (as opposed to the groups I saw earlier), and whistled to the next angler down the beach so he could intercept them. He made 4-5 casts to them with no bites. Basin/flats side once again with killer chop from wind moving west-east. Apart from the wind and slow fishing, a gorgeous day with nary a cloud in the sky. Showers forecast for tomorrow, so I'll be looking for Rooster, Fishhawk, John, Pete and (hopefully) Juro and Paul Cheevers in a couple weeks. I should have a line on the Atlantis by then...
Shep
Old 05-30-2004, 01:23 PM

Cool! Well not cool about the stripe but the shots sounded good.

So - why do you suppose the angler did not hook up?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:27 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

The fact he seemed to be casting INTO the group instead of IN FRONT of it might have had something to do with it....live and learn!
Shep
Old 05-30-2004, 02:09 PM

Thought so!

These moving fish will not move far from the pack to eat a fly, the encounter has to be almost incidental to the fish. I usually recommend 10 ft of lead for moving beach fish. Stripping before the moment materializes is cause for failure as well.

A high-density shooting head works wonders this time of year on the beach. Not only does the thinner == grains get thru the wind, but it makes the fly get into the strike zone much quicker. Just be careful not to clothesline the fish with that black line, they don't like that at all.

If you put the DI-7 35ft Airflo shooting head in 12wt on your new Atlantis and keep a relaxed stroke to make sure things are all lined up, reaching out and touching these fish (10 ft ahead that is) should be greatly simplified. The big ones are starting to increase in numbers and during my field testing last year the bigger stick was much more comfortable for fighting cow bass in surf.

The jury is still out on the running line, although the Polyshoot XT was very nice last weekend but it was so light that the wind tended to blow it around in the basket. Of course it was windy as hell.

I will be stringing up the Rio slickshooter 50# and the Airflo Miracle braid next time out. Should be the ticket for easy, big casts to reach virtually any pod reason up on Nauset and the Race, which are smokin right now.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:20 PM
President of CAC

Took the Rip Ryder back with Flydoc and ended up with 2 fish this morning... both not bad in the low 20's. Both casts to lead fish in pods I could reach. Penguin shared a sandwidh while we took a break with Rooster and his two buddies. Fished a while with Diego.... I think that is his handle. Moved to a point with Big Dave and saw pods moving during the early outgoing, but not as many as last weekend. While we ate, small pods of small fish came swimming right at us and them veered south???. One big Pod of 'BIG" fish had Penguin running down the the beach....for about a mile... I saw them and they were huge... but a small school...maybe 4 or 5... but could not reach them. Met Paxton, his wife and his daughter on the Rip Ryder. Fished near Slinger who was up from RI for the day.Wind was up but not bad, not like yesterday
Old 05-30-2004, 04:09 PM
CantAnchorUs

Borarded the Rip Ryder and made the trip to the promised land today. It is everything they said it would be. Beautiful day ( coulda done with a little less wind), pods of fish roaming up and down the beach and the seal show was great( we don`t get them down here). Only managed one hit but saw lots of fish. I would much rather fish with a wind in my face than at my back, I can punch a line into any wind but from behind it makes life miserable. Met some new faces and allmost got run over by Pete as he chased a cow down the beach , screaming like a banshee. Everything has changed so much since I was last out there, maybe 10 yrs ago. And there wasn`t even any traffic comin off Cape!
Slinger
Old 05-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Flats Rat

Not only Monomy but .......

..... somewhere a bit closer to CT, where the stripers are running BIG and the flats have only ME on them (glad I got the kayak) and there are 40" schnauzers cruising in 2ft of water and burying their heads in the sea lettuce and ....

7 fish total

2 @ 30"+
1 @ 26"
3 24"ish and finally

the BIG 40" - in ankle deep water - sucked in the swinging fly so gentle but you shoulda seen the explosion when I set the hook followed by a very cool looking rooster-tail as the backing went sizzling out.

On the inside flats I was glad I had the tarpon line and flies that didn't sink to fast. The bottom is covered in a lush carpet of gold, green and tan lettuce three to six inches deep. Keeping the fly suspended above the crap is key and the retrieve needed to be ever so, ever so, slow. A clouser would have been frustration city

The only sad part was the wind kicked up so much it stirred up the shoreline upwind and the sight fishing shut down until the incoming push cleared things out.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:48 PM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Way To Go Adrian!!! A definite Banner day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.