How to shut down a flat...and annoy people you don't even know! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 08:37 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
How to shut down a flat...and annoy people you don't even know!

So...You've been to Orvis and you look GREAT!
You've read a few books, seen Andy Whatshisname shreak like a school girl on some isolated beach on Christmas Island, and you really know some stuff!
You've heard about sight fishing the Monomoy and Brewster flats and you want some of that BAD!
You find a likely spot (as depicted on page 119) and you proceed to wade out until your basket floats...after all, you are wearing "chest waders"...'might as well use them!
And then you start casting toward the deep grassy dark spots and the edge of the drop off...the shipping lanes!
You've come to the Sight Fishing Capital of the NorthEast and you are now BLIND CASTING and proving to everyone that you haven't got a clue...you have reached the rank of CLUELESS!
Big fish are swimming between you and the shore but you are CLUELESS as your attention is focused on fish you cannot see in a deep channel somewhere out there...
True, blind squirrells do find a nut now and then but...they are not sight fishing and neither are you...
Here's your STUPID sign!
You are spooking schools of fish you'll never see because they are behind you and you are shutting down the flats and squashing opportunities for those silly folks down the beach who are standing in water that barely reaches their knees...SIGHT FISHING to fish that they can actually SEE cruising near the shore in the shallows where sight fishing can happen when incoming fish are not SPOOKED off first by Mr Clueless Deepwader!
And, as you work your way down the beach and continue to float your basket way out there, you have the unmittigated gaul to wade past the folks sight fishing in that ancle deep water...
You haven't got a clue and you have unknowingly and effectively really pissed off and frustrated some folks who actually know what they are doing...Besides shutting down the flat until a new fresh wave of stripes arrive.
But, that OK because you are CLUELESS and inconsiderate and don't know any better...ignorance is bliss!
You know who you are!
Haveaniceday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 PM

Pete.......do you still have those boot attached portable torpedo launchers?
I'll be looking for their wake
Ron
Old 05-28-2004, 09:40 PM
I remember sometimes...,

OOOOOOHHHH! me thinks someone hit a birdnerve!!!!!
Couldn't agree more.
Clueless is ok for awhile, but..., manners and common courtesy need to be part of eveyones life, even when they fish and enjoy the great outdoors. Kinda goes to an earlier post by Bigdave, "how close is too close". "Too Close" is defined by the person you just hogged in on! If you think you are too close, just politely ask the guy who was there first! Most of my buddies will tell you when asked, and make accomodations. Also, if you don't know the guy and you think you are too close..., THEN YOU ARE!
With that said, when you are with a group, consider a little rotation on the hot spot.
This is not just a Northeast phenomanon! My old boss used to tell us "the only thing you can't teach is common sense...,"
Common courtesy is all most folks ask.
See you guys on the flats next week!
Cheers,
DK
Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 PM
President of CAC

Pete... one of those bad days out there? Huh!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:45 AM

ohhh....cry me a river!!!!!!

beats 72 straight hours in front of a computer screen and counting.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:01 PM

Thumbs up

You could 'transpose' the location to a couple of runs I know on the Upper Rogue or the North Umpqua!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:39 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

The Armed and Dangerous Monomoy Courtesy Patrol...

Will be roundin up the Deep Wader violators and issuing citations!
This time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ratpatrol.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	3291  
Old 05-30-2004, 12:57 PM

for the record, i'd like to respectfully retract my comments.

my apologies mr. penguin and patrol.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:29 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Open Season on ...

Deep Waders...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	beachpatrol.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3296  
Old 06-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Peter............Peter..................Peter,
Me think's you need to smell the roses next time someone goes tromping through your little peace of heaven. It SUCKS...........But humans will be humans unfortunately, I had a run in with Mr. Clueless boat guy recently, my friend and I were drifting one spot on a local reef for about 4 hours and had a steady pick of nice spring fish that were 6-15 lbs. all on the fly. All of a sudden here comes Mr. Proline who proceeds to motor right past us on the reef while we were landing another fish, he looks at us and then stops right in our drift and drops the hook. I smiled and just said "Oh well, there goes the neighborhood". My buddy on the other hand went berserk and gave this guy more than a small piece of his mind. I told him not to bother it wasn't worth it but he went for it anyway. The guy was unfazed and made us seem as though we were the offenders cause he lives 2 miles from the reef and fishes there all the time. I kpet my mouth shut until our last drift when he felt he had not said enough to us, that is when my fuse was at it's end. I lit into him on the finer points of common courtesy and ettiquette but this "Richard Head" had no clue what that meant, he even had the nads to say it was a large reef I just had to laugh at that one, than why did you anchor right where we were already fishing. He then offered to move closer to the reef marker to which I said have a great time we are done and by the way the other chunkers have not hooked a damn fish all morning. Maybe your Mr. Clueless was just that, he may have needed some education as to the finer points of flats fishing??? I still would have rather been there and fishless than up in Yorktown NY working with a bunch of knuckleheads. By the way didn't you just buy a boat???

Mike M.

You still always bring a smile to my usually frowning face thanks for the humorous story:hehe:
Old 06-03-2004, 10:09 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Mike...

I think I know that guy...
'Sounds like a former Wing King (Col Czekanski) at Westover ARB...

Das Boat...Lord of da flatz...
oops, wrong boat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newflatzboat.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	3301  
Old 06-03-2004, 10:20 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Life is good...

In between payments...
Factory prototype T-top and 4-stroke 140...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	baybolt20.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3302  
Old 06-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Pete,
I assume the picture is of a craft that resides in your driveway now or soon??? I have a friend down here who does some guiding out of one of those and it is a great boat, Hydrosports makes a great product even though Genmar bought them I have not seen any degradation in the quality of the product. You will be happier than an Albie in Sept. with that one

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.