Weekend Plans: - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Middle Aged Member

Weekend Plans:

This is the weekend I usually think of as starting the season in earnest. Spring chores are done (not really), June's on the brink and I got time to fish (wishful thinking). In January I'm usually studying the tide chart and planning Mem. Day weekend fishing. Finally got over that this year.

Weather forcasts have been a tease the last few days. Looks like clearing and NW winds tommorow. So much for the bayside dream. Think I'll play around in the Bass river then run around getting beach and dump stickers, do some yard work.

Sunday looks a little more promising with the wind turning a bit more west. Get up early and check out mid incoming on the bayside. After breakfast, drag the wife to the beach and fish what could be a promising outgoing.

Monday the wife leaves for home early and I get fish a cycle. Yesterdays sun icon on intellicast has turn to the scattered showers icon for Monday. So much for a pristine sight fishing day. But last years biggest fish came in the fog and under the clouds so... Any how I'm open for Monday if anyone has any ideas.

Also looking forward to drifting Clousers with my new floating line.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM
President of CAC

Fred... I am heading down late this evening and will take the Rip Ryder at 8 tomorrow morning and head over to the ocean side of South Beach...may do the same on Sunday morning. If you decide to go I will look for you and don't forget.... I take my coffee regular , large, with a card board hand insulator!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:45 PM

Might do some trout fishing and avoid the crowds. Will be hitting the Flats in June after the holiday.
FishHawk
Old 05-28-2004, 12:55 PM

hate to hijack a thread, especially since I am mostly a lurker, but I guess I will anyway...
Can someone tell me how bad the crowds will be NEXT weekend? (6/4)
It will be my first trip to the chatham area, and I want to go to So. Beach or Monomoy, but I don't want to be jockeying for position.

Also - are there any good, detailed maps of the area available online - did a search but came up empty.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:56 PM

Saturday - errands, yard work, getting beach stickers, etc.
Sunday and Monday very early till maybe 10 out on Nauset. Then back to errands and yard work both days Have an empty seat in the 4wd if anyone's interested.

On the other hand, I have yet to see a two hander live and in use and I would love to see how it's done if anyone is planning on using one Sat am early or Sun am early someplace this side of a Rip Ryder run.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bill -

That's awfully tempting but I will not be fishin this weekend at all (just wishin'). I'd like to do it soon though, maybe we'll get an epic blitz like a couple years back, but all keeper bass this time.

Dewey -

You got triple digits, lurker status is waived. To get to nirvana, take rte 6 to exit 11. Head south to 28. Take a left (east) and follow thru town to the end. Take a right onto shore rd. You will pass the most beautiful lighthouse and view of the Chatham Inlet. Continue straight and bear left down the hill. 2nd or 3rd right is Morris Island Rd, continue to the causeway (water on both sides) and Admiral Ed will pick you up and bring you to the landing. $10 round trip, calling them ahead helps if you are not there for the 8am 508 945-5450

No roads, no buildings, just sand, surf and stripers as far as you can walk. Crowding is relative. There is only one spot where it gets crowded, ten steps from the boat landing.

If you prefer solitude, take the walk to the inlet and back fishing both sides. The only jockeying you'll do is with the seals.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:34 PM

Family duties here in Vermont this weekend, but I will escape early with one or two of my sons for some smally fishing in a local river. Next weekend to Maine. (If it has less people and the fishing is good and it's not Nirvana, then what is it?) The tides look great! Rumour has it that the big fish are going to be there to meet me. Hopefully a few will make it thru the gauntlet in Mass.
Pete
Old 05-28-2004, 03:18 PM

Juro - Thanks for the words!

For some reason I kept reading stuff from seemingly jaded folks that made it sound to me like Pulaski when the kings are in.

I am unbelievably fired up for my first foray to the striper epicenter. I've done some research, now it is time to get busy. Just a few more flys to tie and I will fly those ties.

Now - how to approach that morning low....fishing the flood all day...hmmmm.

Thanks a ton for the help.

I guess I consider myself a lurker for the view/post ratio. If I was in saltwater world I'm sure I'd post more.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

You'll do very well. Just stay still or walk softly, keep an eye open for moving shadows and don't wade into the lanes.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
....I have yet to see a two hander live and in use and I would love to see how it's done if anyone is planning on using one Sat am early or Sun am early someplace this side of a Rip Ryder run.
I'm coming in the evening of the 4th and will be staying very close to the Nauset Beach parking lot for 10 days. I'll have an Atlantis with me with some Airflo heads & running line. Peter C is coming in with same in mid-week. I'd be happy to let you muck around with the rod to get a feel for it, if you want to swing by. PM me next week if you're interested.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:53 PM

Thanks, Greg! Right now I don't know what day I can get down in that time period, but if I can work a vacation day in, I will definitely pm you to see if we can meet up.

Juro - let me know when you want to do Nauset. Can't recall if you are still getting stickers, but if not, and you have a client who wants to go out there, I'll chauffeur if the day doesn't conflict with a work travel day.

Forecast looks good this weekend!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

John- I'll be there at 8AM. See ya then....
Shep
Old 05-28-2004, 11:42 PM
President of CAC

Doc... I will only be able to make it a bit later since I need to drive my daughter to a friend...so I am looking at a 9:30 or 10:00 shuttle but I will look for you on South Beach....
Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Now: THIS weekend plans

So, prepping for my first trip this weekend.
I'll get out for at least a few hours Friday, and then Saturday and Sunday full throttle.

Here is a question I have:
Could someone delineate the differences and pros/and or cons of fishing North Monomoy vs. South Beach? From what I gather, South Beach seems more "on" right now - is that correct?

Any bit of help would help. Thanks for the great info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.