Rhody - Week in Review 5-27 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2004, 06:27 AM

Rhody - Week in Review 5-27

Cast a Fly Charters fly skipper, Capt. Ray Stachelek reports,

Only one trip to report on this week. Pete, "Area 61" Gray and Al D. came down to Rhody with a blanket of fog they brought from Chatham. Seems there is a surplus there and the Chamber of Commerce has wanted to get rid of some because it effects the tourism.

The weather last weekend and into this week has slowed the striper bite. It was nothing like the week before when it was fantastic. Cold fronts have essentially effected most of the open water bait supply that was present in the upper bay. We are talking areas from Providence Point (Prudence Island) upwards to Barrington Beach. Saturday was calm, placid, with very little water movement. The one negative factor about Saturday morning was navigating through all the pea soup fog. Visibility was down to less than 100 yards and it didn’t break till noontime. This made it extremely difficult to sight any surface activity. Many boats without navigational means were forced to fish closer to shore. Terns were confused with the limited visibly. Occasionally you could here them squawking in the distance if your motor wasn’t running. Moving to their direction would help locate small pods of stripers.

We managed to pick up a few strays here and there. Nayatt Point only produced one small schoolie, as did Rumstick Rock. Further down the bay, Prudence’s East shore produced two more. In all, we figured we released 18 stripers among three anglers. We found a pocket of fish later in the morning that would add the majority of fourteen more fish to our total. This is a spot I often fish during difficult times. I will not tell you the exact location for every angler should have “a Honey Hole”. If you’re going to be a better angler than you have to be resourceful on difficult days. You know; “Time on the water” is often applied. I myself like a challenge from time to time. Nothing is more rewarding like working just a litter bit harder toward a goal to succeed. Developing a more concise game plan, scrutinizing the conditions closer, or developing a different strategy makes a fisherman sharper. This creates more options. Grant you, I would never turn down a banner day for clients on board. But on the other hand, those tough days when nothing seems to materialize, I never want to hear the word skunk either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 AM

Fished RI this week and got into some shad which saved the day. Great fun on the fly rod. Poor man's Tarpon.
FishHawk
Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up THANKS Captain!!!

'Had a great time and enjoyed the company!
FYI...
Capt Ray knows his fishy neighborhood waters and his boat is rigged with safety and comfort in mind...Nice ride!
A very stable Boston Whaler with "cages" up front and at both stern corners...even in rough water you would have to really work at going over the side! (I was able to down load some morning coffee off the stern while cruising at 30!...)
The configuration allows for full access and spreads out stick waving anglers so a relatively small boat seems much larger...
Nice concept and application!
If you're thinking about exploring Rhode Island waters, Professor Ray's Narragansett Bay 101 will get you started and into fish!
Advanced degrees will give you a decided edge!
And besides all that...It was fun watching Capt Ray (on instruments) pick his way though the fog and sniff out fish with more resolve than an Alabama bloodhound tracking an escapee!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 AM

...and if you're fishing the area this weekend, bring plenty of wire--the blues were out in force on the west side of Prudence yesterday afternoon.

I tried fishing that same pea soup morning last Saturday. Being the new boater that I am, gave up after leaving the marina and realizing that I don't have the 'time on the water' to make a safe trip into the bay with my son. We salvaged the morning with a bit of shore-based squid jigging instead

Tim
Old 05-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good lesson in "the better part of valor" for your boy as well... as opposed to some who'll lead their boys into dangerous situations without discretion this season.

Interesting things I recall from this time of year were the interactions of bass and blues as they arrive. I've had big blues cut schoolies right in half on my line, nothing new I'm sure. One of the largest stripers I'd ever had a short-tug-of-war with ate a snapper blue I had hooked on a small fly. That same weekend one of the largest stripers I'd ever hooked was on a snapper blue fly about 8" long I fished in the same stretch of beach.

The squid really seem to help bring the blues and large bass to the area. Throughout the years most May blues of size I land puke up squid chunks. Over the years I've been watching the big bass explode on squid around Hyannisport rocks where the commercial rod and reel guys toss surface plugs like the rangers which look a lot like a fleeing squid to squid eating cows.

That reminds me I should be trying some big squid flies on 600 grain heads out there with the big stick ASAP. Penguin maybe we should run a little recon, it's right in your backyard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.