Bombers - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bombers

Summer steelhead and atlantic salmon season is either already here or nearly upon us. Therefore, I thought it was a good time to have us post the "Bombers" we have found to be our favorites to tie and fish. Let's keep it limited to "Bombers" and leave flies like the "Waller Waker" or other non-bomber spun hair flies for another thread.

Why the "Bomber"? Good question. It was the first documented spun deer hair fly tied expressly for dry fly atlantic salmon fishing; it is nearly unsinkable if fish with a riffling hitch; it can be fished dead drift, skating on the swing, twitched, or retrieved with equal effectivness depending on the water speed and depth. It is also the quintessential 'skating fly'. Hence, it is a fly that finds its way into the fly boxes of most steelhead and atllantic salmon fishers for dry line use.

I'll start it off this contest (eventhough it really isn't a contest) with my four favorite "Bombers".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bombers.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	3277  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Flytyer...

Quote:
Let's keep it limited to "Bombers"
What, no "Moose Turds"?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:22 AM

Would this 'study' of skating (a/o damp) fleas include dressings like Madore's BUG or the SR Grub?

Iggy
Old 05-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Pullin' Thread

MJC,

The "Moose Turd" is nothing more than a "Bomber" tied without hackle; therefore, it is a simplified "Bomber" and easier to tie. The original "Bomber" poses more of a challange to the tyer because of having hackle palmered over the clipped, spun hair body. Also, the palmered hackle of the "Bomber" provides more of an illusion of something alive because of the halo effect the hackle produces when the "Bomber" is fished dead drift. That is why I excluded the "Moose Turd" and other variants of the "Bomber" that are tied without the palmered hackle.

Igor,

The various "Buck Bugs" are simplified "Bombers" tied without a tail or wing. They do have the palmered hackle body and usually have a florescent floss butt of some sort. However, leaving the tail off does make the fly easier to tie since one doesn't need to worry about inadvertently cutting the tail off when clipping the body. Likewise, leaving off the wing makes the fly easier to tie since you don't have to worry about cutting off the wing or devising a way to tie on the wing after the body is spun and clipped. Also, the lack of a tail or wing changes the way the fly behaves when skated, especially if fished with a hitch. That is why I excluded them.

"Bombers" provide a challenge to tyers because of the clipped deer hair body, the tail, the palmered hackle, and the wing. But oh my are they effective!

Remember, this is not a tying contest (eventhough some may view it that way), it is a forum to display the "Bombers" you have found effective or simply wish to offer as color variants. Also, the "Bomber' is the original, documented, spun hair bodied skating dry fly tied expressly for altlantic salmon that within a few years of its introduction in Eastern Canada was being used on PNW rivers for steelhead. What better way to celebrate skating flies for atlantic salmon and steelhead than with the "Bomber"?

If a person wants to include another fly along with his "Bomber" (like a "Buck Bug" or "Moose Turd"), go right ahead; but be sure to have a "Bomber" to go with it. So let's see those "Bombers" whether, good, bad, or ugly. After all, they are fishing flies aren't they?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
OK. I'll bite. Here are 7. All of which have taken Atlantic salmon or steelhead. The big guy at the bottom took a 32 lb hen last June.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7 bombers.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	3279  
Old 06-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Pullin' Thread

Only two bomber tyers out of all the members of the site. WOW!!

Hey, wrke, we should advertise our bombers, since nobody else seems to tie them we should be able to clean up. Let's see, they are a very effective fly and fairly popular; therefore, we ought to sell them for $5.00 each because of limited supply since other members don't appear to tie them and we can tie them in any size or color, unlike the imported ones found in most shops.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
FT
I agree, although I'll be unable to tie for a while. There are more 30 lb fish on the Gaspé that need exercise. I leave in a couple of days.
B
Old 06-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Pullin' Thread

wrke,

Have a stellar time and have more than a few 30 lb'ers find themselves on the end of your cast.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:26 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH....
With all the great fly tyers on the forum, I was hoping that I wouldnt have to "show off" the bombers I tie for smallmouth.

Who says colors have to make sense?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	107_0702.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	3359  
Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

Jared,

I can see the blue and black color of your bomber working on steelhead, I'd make the wing a bit shorter though so it wouldn't drown the fly when fished with a hitch tied behind the wing. Nicely done.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Registered Spey Offender

I just emailed a few folks about what kind of bomber I should be tying up right now and then noticed this thread. I made a few attempts last year, but after looking at these photos, they will be headed for the garbage. My body shapes are too fat and I didn't run the hackle through the deer spun body. They were good practice though. Spinning the deer hair wasn't the trauma I thought it would be.

Let me ask, more natural colors are best? Are there general rules for body shape and size? Body width looks to be about half of the hackle. Anything else I should keep in mind? Hook size?

Thanks for any help.

Matt Burke
Old 06-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Never mind. Did the research. Mustad 90240, Partridge 01 or cs 10/1, TMC 7989. I have all the material I need. Better get busy.

Matt Burke
Old 06-21-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrke
OK. I'll bite. Here are 7. All of which have taken Atlantic salmon or steelhead. The big guy at the bottom took a 32 lb hen last June.
Bill
#2 and #3 have been quite successful for me here on the Rogue (late fall) and to a smaller degree on the North Umpqua.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Pullin' Thread

Matt,

I have a strong preference for tying Bombers on down eye hooks because doing so makes for a much nicer riffling hitched waking fly, and I almost exclusively fish Bombers with riffle hitch put between the wing and body. The hook I prefer is the Daiichi #2220, 4XL 1X heavy, down eye. There are many similar hooks on the market, so just pick your favorite, I use Daiichi because they have the sharpest points and the best tempering in the business. Really any 4XL or 3XL hook will work fine. The up eye salmon hooks, although they can be used, interfere with both tying the fly to the tippet, and slightly impede the erratic action I like when the Bomber is riffle hitched.

I tie and fish them from a really large #1 to a rather small #8, all on the Daiichi #2220 hook. My favorite and most used sizes are #4's and #6's. Colors can be anything that strikes your fancy. My favorites are natural deer body hair body, brown bucktail tail,, brown hackle, white wing; Black tail, Black and Yellow body, grizzly hackle, black wing; Black tail, Black and orange body, Black hackle, Black wing; White tail, Orange body, white hackle, white wing; Black tail, black body, black or grizzly hackle, fl. yellow wing; and Brown tail, fl. yellow body, brown hackle, brown wing (I like this one tied on #8 hooks and fished mid-day on bright suny days in late summer, early fall).

One more thing, when you tie a Bomber (or a Buck Bug) wait until after you have the body spun and clipped before tying in the hackle (and wing on the Bomber). After the body is tied and clipped to a slim, cigar shape: 1) tie in the wing with 6/0 to 8/0 thread (put a drop of Flexament or other flexible cement on the thread before tying in the calf tail wing) and tie the wing so it is 1/3 to 1/2 the body length (longer than this adversely effects its action when riffle hitched). 2) wrap the 6/0 to 8/0 thread through the spun body in large wraps with a ziz-zag motion to seat in into the spun body until almost the end of the body. 3) tie in a saddle hackle by its tip after you trim it so there are some fiber stubs sticking up by first putting a drop of Flexament or other flexible cement on the hackle tip then tying it in with 3 turns of thread (don't worry about it coming loose, the Flexament will lock it and the thread into the clipped deer hair). 4) wrap the thread to just before the end of the body (you don't want the thread to go beyond the body) with the same large, zig-zag wraps you used before and palmer the hackle up the body to the thread. 5) strip the hackle fibers exposing the hackle stem for about 1" and put a drop of Flexament or other flexible cement on the stipped hackle stem. 6) finish wrap the hackle around the body in the same place (you keep in on the spun body) as the thread is located until the bare stem is pulled into the body, then tie it in with 3 turns of thread and move the thread forward off the small bit of body and whip finish it. 7) clip the hackle stem flush with the body and cement the head.

Although this explanation sounds involved, it is really very easy to do and speeds up the tying of the fly quite a bit because you don't have to worry about inadvertently cutting off the hackle or wing. The method also allows you to tie really huge Bombers #1/0 up to #6/0 by tying off a hackle as it gets used up and tying in another one until the body is nicely hackled from tail to wing. One can even use neck hackle with this method because of being able to tie in another hackle to finish the body hackle when one is used up.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Thanks FT. I'll be ready.

Matt Burke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.