Elbow of the Cape Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Elbow of the Cape Report

Stream of consciousness style...

Went to work at 5 AM on Friday morning. Hustled and took off for the Cape at 6:07 AM. Feeling good - Friday action items under control.

Rolled down to Orleans to meet my Dad and Jeff B (seuss) on Friday morning. Donned the waders in the parking lot at Nauset Angler and took off oversand in Jeff's Jeep.

Gulls and busting fish and whales on the ocean side but they were out of reach. There were terns everywhere but these gulls had fish under them. The terns most likely did not. I learned that lesson last May. The wind was blowing the fish offshore so we headed out to the honey hole. Honking wind in our face and some herring chuckers with long faces.

Rolled back to land and headed to the Light. Nice Rip out in front of the light but no bass. Fished around the corner at the Light. I finally hit for a decent fish around the Narrows and Jeff B started seeing fish. He landed 2 twinks and I broke my RPLXi on a forward cast (man can I haul). I fished with the top of the rod like I was Lefty Kreh and got a nibble from a twink. Guy we met sighting from the dunes had not seen many fish. Saw a guy hooked up with a 2 hander out there as well. He lost the fish.

Jeff caught one more on the way back as we fished drop offs and holes. Some R&R and food back at ground zero and off to Pleasant Bay for the evening drop. I hook a good blue (bit me off that fat bastard) and Jeff hooks a bass that boils on top and says goodbye. Guy next to me scores and we head to another Pleasant Bay rip.

Fishing in the dark with Great Gatsby types behind us and we do not score. Tide is fully low.

Sleep and do it all over again. Oversand trip and less wind at the Honey Hole. Herring chuckers and chunkers doing nothing. We all fish hard - slow and low and fast and on top and nada all around.

My Dad needed to head back and we head to talk to Harry and chat about the crappy clutches on Lamson reels. We head to a schoolie spot and get some twink nibbles and then head to another Pleasant Bay rip. Twink city. Yellow was the color of choice and we lost count of the fish. I like that spot. Jeff B got schooled by a little kid tossing herring to the cows there last spring. Final score: Jeff nothing and little kid had tons of cows to shore. That was last year. This year we both filled our dance card with twinks and more twinks.

Off to the light. Fishing the rips and one schoolie to be had. Some guy was letting his 5 yr old swim in front of the light. I warn him about the cranking current (I could not walk out 10 feet without fear). He looks at me with the "Thanks but no thanks" look and keeps taking pictures of the little guy. That kid was within 20 feet of real trouble.

Off to Morris Island. Twink, twink and more twinks. Lots of guides there and some guys on the other side of the Tub saying that they were into 25 inchers. We bail and go back for grub. Misting rain and no sight fishing.

Back out for the drop at night and our twink spot was fairly barren. Me in full wader garb in the rip and Jeff B standing on the shore in corduroys hooking up with the spinning rod. It was funny. Then I grab the spinning rod and Jeff casts my Winston BL5. He likes the rod. He uses my super secret sliding night fly - The Blind Baron. He hooks up with that too. We laugh. We sleep. We go back to our normal lives.

On the way out of the hotel office we see a blitz in the cove near our hotel. I go to the Red Top on the way off of the Cape. The guys slayed the bass in the canal this morning. I also heard reports of countless fish on the Brewster flats at dusk.

Back to life - back to reality. The dream continues.

Peace out.

Last edited by doogue; 05-23-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
clutches

Doogue,
Enlighten me on the " crappy Lamson clutches"'? I have the V4 and have had no trouble at all with it, in fact I love it. Great reel for the $$.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Ahhh, a discerning reader!

Basically, Jeff B has a Lamson Velocity and there is a clutch in the sealed drag. Actually, there is no longer a clutch in Jeff's drag. His drag is 100% useless.

Harry was telling us that he has seen lots of folks bring in their Lamson and Ross reels with the same issue. I have 2 Ross big game reels and they have performed well for me over the years. Time will tell for those reels though. I have not needed the drag as often as I would like to report!

So, the Lamson reels are not bad reels but we heard reports of clutches going out on many customers that have crossed the threshold at Harry's shop. Harry recommended that you keep a spare clutch on hand just in case yours craps out. Easy to change out if the clutch breaks.

That was all I can recall of the conversation. I wasn't really listening to all of the details.

Jeff had this happen on 2 Lamson reels despite following all maintenance requirements to the letter of the law. The 1st reel was replaced but only after many frustrating calls to Lamson.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 03:13 PM

basically, this is the second time the clutch has crapped out in 2 years. and i'm no ninja catching machine.

first time around, they weren't as accomodating as i would have liked. claimed i had opened the drag, which i hadn't. and required a few too many calls and a few too many weeks before implementing the fix.

in the end, they fixed the reel for ~ a $20 processing fee. i chalked it up to a fluke. until this past weekend, when i found myself sans drag again. not good. not happy.

just got off the phone with lamson/waterworks. and they were quite friendly this time around. inline with harry's comments, lamson confirmed this reel does, in fact, have clutch "issues".

so back it will go again for a new clutch at ~ $20. although, i may opt to have them simply send me a new clutch (or perhaps a few) for $5 a pop. far be it from me to be the loan frugal flyfisher, but $40 in two years for maintenance on a defective design and what probably is a 10 cent part is excessive in my opinion.

in the end, my $30 "junker" orvis backup, with drag in fine working order, saved the day yet again.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:41 PM

Bummer about the Lamsons.

I have 2 and had a similar problem with one of them...corrosion inside the cylinder. Started keeping my extra spool in a ziplock so the spindle stays moisture/salt free...I think that is where the corrosion was coming from for me - swapping in wet spools.

Look on the bright side - for $20 of maintenance/year, how many years will it take you to break even on a Tibor?
Old 05-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Bummer about the Lamsons.

Look on the bright side - for $20 of maintenance/year, how many years will it take you to break even on a Tibor?
Yeah, but how many cows and fishing time will you have lost in the process. An inexpensive reel should be maybe heavier, not large arbor and not have fancy engraving or color schemes but a defective drag that you may need to fix on the water seems unreasonable. Aren't there reels that fit those criteria? SA System 2, some of the redingtons etc...
Old 05-24-2004, 04:14 PM

Smcdermott,

That comment was made tounge-in-cheek. I haven't lost any cows or fishing time...just learned not to get the spindle wet and it hasn't been a problem since.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:23 PM

This is partly anecdotal but I believe that Lamson got rid of their main support person and replaced her with someone who is much more responsive & friendly.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Bauer Pauer

T dawg,

Sounds like it maybe time to come over to the dark side and pick up one of those Bauer's!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Question So far so good

... With mine. Knock on wood. I will say the S.A. 8/9 has been a workhorse. Going on ten years and the only problems I've had are from falling on it or having it roll of the top of my ve-hickle fleeing a thunder storm- DUH! and then it was just a bent rim on the spool that I bent back. A little wobble adds character.

Nothing wears out if it stays on display- but hey shouldn't just fail either. I guess I should pick up a couple clutches too.

BTW- Did they seize-up fail or free spin fail??

Last edited by Chris; 05-25-2004 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 AM

I have a Lampson LP3 and the clutch has failed me twice. I have put lithium grease on the clutch and spindle and washed them after each trip. In the old days Lampson would send you the clutch for free. I have three backups. Now they charge $10. Was told at my suggestion that I could put WD40 on the clutch and spindle but not to overdo it. So here's what I do now. Spray the clutch with WD40 before the outing and then after wash the reel and make sure that I take the clutch off to get rid of the salt build up underneath the the clutch. The problem is that the clutch housing is made of a high carbon steel that rusts out. The WD 40 seems to do the trick. The only thing to watch out for is not to get the WD40 on the drag pad. Hope this helps.
FishHawk
Old 05-25-2004, 07:28 AM

Fishhawk....I'm a new owner of a Lamson Velosity....obviously this interchange of comments is upsetting....where exactly is the clutch....where do you spray the WD40...inside or drag knob or elsewhere?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 AM

Ron,

The LP3 is a totally different design from the Velocity. Velocity has a sealed conical drag. LP uses a disk (not sealed). Call lamson if you're concerned about it...I did and they explained that when moisture/salt gets past the O ring and into the drag chamber, corrosion will occur.

The primary ways water gets in there is by rinsing with the spool off (O ring seal is lost) or inserting a spool with a wet spindle.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Recent Member

Doogue,

Loved your writeup! Your discussion of a couple of those spots brought back some fond memories when we were tight to fish down there. A group of us will be up there staying in Orleans starting on Sunday and fishing until 8 June. Hope my hands are busted up and sore when the fishing is done.

Mark
Old 05-25-2004, 08:06 AM

Nice write up. It's only going to get better!

Good luck,

Roop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.