Fly Swap Recipes - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2001, 12:47 PM

Fly Swap Recipes

Here's a look at my "red sandwich" pattern. Like most everything I fish, it's a pretty simple tie. I like fishing relatively small hooks, either 1's or 2's, mostly because bigger hooks are more likely to do damage to a fish.

#2 heavy wire wet fly salmon hook
Red floss bumper tied just above the hook point
*tie in a purple grizzly hackle at the tip, stripping off one side of the feather
* make a dubbing loop and spin in black
hairtron, wrap this forward leaving about 1/4 inch behind the hook eye
*wrap the grizzly hackle forward
* add a pair of purple grizzly hackles for wings, I use narrow feathers that extend at least 1/2" behind the hook bend
* finish with a few turns of bright red chicken neck to complete the "red sandwich"

I've had luck with this pattern on the Dean, fishing it deep on sink tips. Red seems to be a good color on that river whether the water is clear or colored up. On a heavy hook this pattern sinks really well, and the wings give it a little swimming action.

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.