Wobbling flies - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Recent Member

Wobbling flies

I was just wondering if any innovative tiers out there have managed to come up with a wobbling fly yet. I have been experimenting with epoxy heads, but haven't managed to perfect anything yet.
Regards, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Flats Rat

John

The closest thing I've come across that can still be called a fly is Bob Popovics Pop-lips which utilises silicone to create a diving plane.

Also look at the Tullis Wiggle bug which uses shaped foam to get the same effect. You could probably get similar effects by experimenting with tightly packed/clipped deer hair.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Recent Member

Thanks very much for the reply. I wonder if you could tell me where I would be able to see a picture of these flies, or better still, instructions on how to tie them.
Regards, John
Old 05-23-2004, 03:22 PM

Hi ya Buntinbee

Here's a wobbling epoxy pattern I came up with. It wobbles quite well and has the added attraction of the twister tail. I also tie it with a sili-leg tail (5-6 strands). I use larva lace or V-rib to form the frame for the epoxy similar to tying an epoxy glass minnow. Creative rotation of the tying vice results in the spoon shaped body.

I call this fly a "Bonetwiggle"..."Bonefish/twister/wiggle"...go figure?

Give it a shot!...this fly accounted for my largest bone on a trip to Eleuthera this March/April.

Best regards,

Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink bonetwiggle.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	3275  

Last edited by Henry; 05-23-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 PM

What is a twister tail?

The fly looks interesting, but where do you get the tails? Are they bass lures?
Thanks jfk
Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Twister tails

I don't know what he used here but cabela's has a line of flytying twistertails.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:10 PM

Hey flyjkol,

You hit the nail on the head with the Cabela's. These tails are available in an array of colours. I actually buy mine locally through a local fly shop.

Regards,

Henry
Old 07-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Smile Caves Wobbler

Caves Wobbler
This is my version of a Caves Wobbler. Theses are very popular down here in the Big Easy for Redfish. Mines a little heavier and streamlined than the origional.
I combined several photo's to get a total look at the fly. It's very efective and wobbles nicely .

Tight Lines
Matt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caves Wobbler1.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3433  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Last edited by MCorder; 07-01-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:55 PM

wobbling flies

i tried with a "loop"not for smaller fish,a stainless stel ring for bigger fish.it works,the fly mowes "freely"instead of being"dragged"by the line.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 PM
President of CAC

I am not sure what the last post means....are you talking about tying the fly on a "non-slip-mono loop"?... if so... this will not make it wobble...just move a bit more than a direct tie...it is still dragged though.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Flats Rat

Thanks John!

HCDK, the original post was a question about flies that incorporate wobble effects into their inherent design.

As far as means of attachment goes, loop knots facilitate movement, they do not cause it!

You could get extra movement on any pattern by using something like a riffling hitch but that's not what this thread is about.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Count me out of the loop knot crowd. I found the knot to be much weaker than a palomar knot, and it makes the line visible to spooky fish. I'd prefer to have a compact barely visible (palomar) knot at the head than a big knot and loop. I believe choice of materials and fly design puts life into a fly not the terminal knot so the minuses outweigh the plusses, at least where/how I fish.

Per action from the loop I am not convinced it is meaningful. I seem to catch fish fine without it. I also fish tube flies a lot and not only do they hook fish, but they hold the fish much better. The body of the tube is perfectly in-line and there is no swivel point involved. Doesn't seem to affect the hook-up ratio at all.

I also fish the double turle on loop eye flies. The loop knot is just weird on loop eye flies tied on classic salmon hooks. I seem to hook my share of fish on the double turle, another in-line knot without a loop.

The only conclusion I made from fishing a loop knot was a noticeable loss of strength in the knot when pulling out a snag, and an occasional loss of a large fish when using lighter tippets. I have abandoned them entirely, but who knows I could be missing something... or not.

Back on topic, wobbly flies are cool... this gives me a lot of ideas for flats flies!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:34 AM

Here's my version, tied sideways on a spey hook using mylar tube pulled over a lead foil body with yak hair on top.

The Hickory Shad in NC loved it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foilspoon.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	3532  
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Limpe

Send a message via ICQ to Limpe Send a message via MSN to Limpe
Wobbler flies

In The netherlands there's a company called Poseidon, this company makes plastic lips for creating wobbler flies.

A small example of these plastic pieces; Wobbler flies

They come in different sizes for creating small swimming nymps to huge Swimming Pike flies made on a size #6/0 to #8/0 hook .

I guess there are no limits on what to make with them..

Greetings, Limpe
Old 02-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Limpe, what are the flies on that page used for? Those wobbling lips are really interesting. I'm sure you could make the same thing with some thin, flexible plastic from a craft store, but it's neat to see them pre-made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.