Yin + Yang - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 10:45 AM
CantAnchorUs

Yin + Yang

As Dickens said so well, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Had a vac. day on Fri so the boat was in the water by 4 am. Dam cold, but no wind. Up inside one of the coves on the bay I thought I might find some of the squeteague that are rumored to be around. Due to an ingrown nail I was considerably hobbeled but I`m not gonna let a little thing like excruciating pain stop me. By 8 with only 2 medium schoolies to show I was ready to head for the ramp to go meet JF up in Bourne. I still had plenty of time and thinking "How often do I get a chance to take my little boat out to the big water" I decided to head outside to look around. Zooming across the open bay the fog and cold made for an unpleasant ride but then I spotted a swirl on the surface, then another. I cut the motor and figured this is as good a place as any. When I stood on the platform in the stern I couldn`t believe my eyes, a quarter mile in front of me were acers and acers of bass on the top! I`ve never seen so many. I scooted over hoping to get a couple before they went down, but they didn`t. The next 3 hours were non stop surface blitz. I keep having a problem with the motor flooding so I keep a good supply of extra plugs onboard. My greatest fear is being disabeled on the open water. The fish started to move with the tide and I went to follow, no start. Change plugs and I`m back in the game. The catching was super, with @ 1/2 of the fish making it to 28" I thought one last shot before I leave but it was not to be. The motor refused to catch and I was drifting in the shipping channel, and the battery was getting low, I was in a predicament. I tried and tried but no luck. I was calling the CG for help when I took one last shot before the battery was completely dead and it kicked in. Beat feet back to the ramp. Tally, 29bass, good numbers of keepahs, 8 plugs, ripped up knees from kneeling in the stern and my toe was starting to look like a thumb.
Dragged the boat home and tried to get to meet JF. Miles of construction on195slowed me way down. Got to the meeting spot 5 min. late, no JF. Spent the next hour cruising side roads looking for the super secret spot, finally spot a truck comming out of a swale of reeds and follow to the end and there he is. Herring chuckers were tuning em up and Jf getting fish on a floating line with flatwings. Struggeled into waders and I do mean struggled. Limped into the water next to John and we proceeded to get dinks for the next couple of hours. One fish 30" made the trip home with me for my parents. New truck dosen`t have all the necessities, like a piece of plastic to put wet stuff on, so i wrapped the fish in my goretex coat. Just to complete a perfect day, I got a flat on the way home.
Would I do it all over? In a heartbeat!
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 11:54 AM

Steve...

Conditions were unbelieveable Friday. Wish I known you were so close to us. Tried to call you on the cell. Could have helped you stay out longer. Leaving fish to find fish must have been difficult, especially under conditions like Friday. This only happens during the spring in Narragansett Bay for bass . Had consistant fishing for hours. Those days you cheris.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2004, 12:21 PM

Great report! Hope you can get that motor fixed. You don't want to be in that tight of a spot. FishHawk
Old 05-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Pencil me in.....

Slinger, you must have had a hell of a time fixing that flat with a sore toe....and to think I was in a nearby restaurant having Pizza about that time and yes, it is highly recomended that one uses a floating line fishing alongside Herring Chuckers or your find out your not a welcome neighbor real quick.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:04 PM

Drueling. Send them up heah.

Lefty
Old 05-17-2004, 04:07 PM

Lefty..... Does this make you drool?

Nice fly caught striper in upper Narragansett Bay last Saturday where Steve was fish'in.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM

Ahh, Steve...you gonna hafta get that motor tuned before you can run it in the spot I've been talking about.

If she don't catch on the first try, we be a half a mile down river before you got a second try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.