Norvise and spey/featherwings - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
LBFF Mojo

Norvise and spey/featherwings

Just curious how many of you guys use a norvise to tie speys and featherwings. I am having a hell of a time getting them to look good on the small vise attachment. nothing is coming out right. Should I step up to the large or even down to the fine point jaws? Seems there just is not enough clearance to really work with on the rear of the hook... Any tips or do I just need practice?

I go back to the old renzetti and things look great. Thinking I should have sprung for the law bench vise...I am struggling with the norvise...

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

You have found one of the main reasons I don't like nor own the Norvise. It is a great vise unless you are going to tie spes, dees, and classic featherwing salmon flies because it doesn't have the room at the rear of the jaws needed to get your fingers and hands into proper position for them. That is why I use a Dyna King Barracuda.

Last year at the Bellevue Show Norm had a vise with him that had a jaw with a bend in it that looked like a small Renzetti jaw arm. It might be worth your time to check with him and get one for your vise. I seem to recall him telling me that this bend arm jaw was available in medium and large jaw versions. Sorry I don't remember how much it cost but Norm did say it works with any of his vises.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Norm's Midge/Small Fly Jaws...

These make things more accessable...
And replace the original jaws...

(Sean...pm me if you are interested in a test ride)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MidgeJaws.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	3985  
Old 11-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Mr. Mom

Sean, for salmon hooks and spey type flies, just don't worry about having the hook shank centered. clamp the hook in lower on the hook bend. You aren't going to be using the true rotary function anyway, so it doesn't matter if the hook is out of true. You still get full rotation, you just can't spin on the spey hackle at 200 rpm
Old 11-18-2004, 12:28 PM

"You have found one of the main reasons I don't like nor own the Norvise. It is a great vise unless you are going to tie spes, dees, and classic featherwing salmon flies because it doesn't have the room at the rear of the jaws needed to get your fingers and hands into proper position for them."

Creak, creak...flap, flap...creak, creak, flap, flap, flap - (that's the sound of me hoisting the 'Bravo Sierra' flag!)

Hmmm, owning a NorVise hasn't hindered my ability to dress a Spey, Dee, or most any fly for that matter - and I use the larger jawset.

Ronn Lucas Sr. dresses some of the most exquisite Speys, Dees, full-dress Atlantics, and free-style featherwinged flies on Planet Earth - and he uses a NorVise, with the tapered jawset.

As a matter of fact, some of the most talented tyers anywhere use a NorVise.

Igor

BTW - Sean, if you need product and pricing information you can PM me.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:41 PM
LBFF Mojo

That is why I asked. I saw in all of Ron's photos he was using the tapered jaws.

Not giving up quite yet , I just think the small jaws that come with the vise are not suitable for my style of tying. Need either the large jaws or the tapered fine point jaws to make it workable for my hands.

Will post an update as to how things turn out.

-sean
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Mr. Mom

[QUOTE=IgorCreak, creak...flap, flap...creak, creak, flap, flap, flap - (that's the sound of me hoisting the 'Bravo Sierra' flag!)

[/QUOTE]

Old 11-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Pullin' Thread

Penguin,

That's the jaw I was referring to I saw at Norm's boothe last year in Bellevue. It may be the answer Sean, although I still have a strong bias for the Dyna King Baracuda.

Igor,

I never said a person can't tie these flies on a Nor vise, or do so well. I simply said that it doesn't have room at the rear of the jaws for helping in hand placement. And just because I don't like a particular vise (which I clearly stated in my other post), it doesn't mean that the vise will not be the cat's meow for another person. Heck, there have been thousands of spey, dee, and married featherwings tied on non-ratating and non-angle adjustible vises like the old Thompson Model A.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 PM

Meow, Meow!!

Igor
Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Sean, I use the fine point jaws on the Nor Vise for all of my flies from #28 (Mustad) to over 9/0! One jaw! I didn't like the original jaws either because (and this reason only) my big fingers couldn't tail tiny flies. I solved that by grinding away and repolishing the metal at the tip but then, Norm came out with the fine point jaws and I haven't looked back. If you want more info, email me at rlucas@cybcon.com.

By the way, Norm just last week brought out a new non rotary (with the fine point jaws) clamp on vise for just under $100. Looks like a good first vise for someone and it can be upgraded to the rotary should the Tyer wish. Norm, the clever fellow that he is, didn't realize that. LOL

Happy Trails!
Ronn
Old 11-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Duke of Furl

Send a message via Yahoo to Don Johnson
big and little on the NV

Sean,
When tying certain patterns on the Nor-Vise that won't require rotation of the fly in the axis AND/OR there is a need for a less restricted access to the hook try this:

1) rotate the hub system so the jaws are on the TOP of the rotation and lock the hub into place

2) remove the jaws from the hub and reset them so the tightening lever is underneath the jaws.

This is a small inconvenience but useful if you know you won't need to use the true-rotary functionality of the vise and something I used to do for really little stuff (<18) and really big stuff (>1/0). Upgrading to the bigger jawset will allow for more access to the rear of the hook as they are significantly longer. PM me if you want to try a set and I'll send you mine.

Later,
Don

PS: The fine point jaws pictured earlier in the thread are now available with the lever action locking mechanism, which is a vastly better system than the old cam-wheel, especially on that jaw setup.

Flytyer: I assume you have much Nor-Vise experience having tied considerable dozens flies on the system even though you admit to neither owning nor using the system. Otherwise you wouldn't have made a comment about its inadequacies, correct?

Last edited by Don Johnson; 11-20-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:04 AM

Russ? Oh, Ru-uuss? Where art thou?

LOL
Old 11-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's clear that you are extremely knowledgeable and skilled at the vise and I would like to exchange bits of wisdom on the river someday with you, but in referee terms "taunting is unsportsmanlike conduct".

Let's keep it on the high road.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Duke of Furl

Send a message via Yahoo to Don Johnson
flag; 15 yards, roughing the moderator

Oh come on...it's all in fun. We just want to see if there is supreme justification behind all the pontificating. Besides, if one was to referee for taunting, then shouldn't there be equivalent refereeing for the dissemination of erroneous information?

Waiting to get a red card,
Don
Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 AM

Juro,

While I certainly appreciate your analogy on 'unsportsman-like conduct', there was (in my mind) no taunting. My reply was (and I'm sure our Moderator would agree) in jest, and made in good fun.

Why is it whenever a few people disagree or have a conflicting *opinion* with a board Moderator that the yellow cards are flashed?

Gee whiz!

BTW - I assume you're referring to Mr. Johnson when you speak in terms of knowledge and skill at the vise. I'm just a hack tyer - and I tend to take the 'high road' in most every matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.