Fly Fishing Forum banner

Awesome Kickoff

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
Thanks to all who attended, Spring Clave 2004 was a fantastic time!

The good...

We showed Sean what striper country is made of despite a late starting season for bigger fish and some scheduling problems. People were very considerate and took each other out on their boats, showed others around the area, helped out at the grill and kabob table, and brought many treats like smoked salmon, seared tuna steaks, and fine wines. The hotel mgmt brought extra picnic tables, grills, pots for clams, and gave us a great rate. We had a CAC session extraordinaire on Friday. The fish cooperated, albeit mostly small, coming in waves from 10:30am to 4pm on Saturday. It was a grand time!

The bad...

I got too busy and dropped a few balls... by the time we got the food, prepped it, cooked, finished washing the last pot, ran to the CAC, that last nightcap around 1:30am really killed me.

Never had a chance to coordinate with generous participants like Capt.Art - Sorry Art! But in his usual fashion he offered Chris and Drew a day of excellent fishing on the bayside, despite the mix-up. I'm sure Chris and Drew don't mind that our plans got hosed ;)

Rich F, apologies for the outcome on the weekday trips - my life is chaotic and the order that is forming from it is much changed.

Some of the guys had to deal with sleeplessness as a domestic fracas broke out between males and females in the room next door, with the 'hers' getting the upper hand

The Ugly...

Did you see those fez pictures???? :devil:

Awesome time, special thanks to everyone for showing Sean we appreciate his efforts and also for kicking off the 2004 season in grand fashion!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yesss, Yes

Great to see everyone again, a most excellent time.
what was the name of the marinade that was on the steak. It was deliceous

We had a fine time, I'm almost sorry you missed the boat Juro. I'm guessing you and Sean got into catching up until well into the early morning. Many fish and huge thanks to Art's skill and generosity. I would recommend him to anyone wanting to hire a fine guide. We had many doubles and some drifts of continuous fish. No big fish caught but not from want of effort and experience. Boy, what a blow came up Saturday afternoon. It got so you didn't even get many lulls to cast between the blasts by 2. We flailed though it and are better casters for it. Thanks again to Art, Juro and everyone who helped pull it off. Welcome to all the newbies hope to see you again sometime. Next stop for us is May 29th - June 4th. And then the Bone clave.

Porkslice.. drop me or kennebecfly a pm maybe we can hook up that weekend.

#5 ·
Juro

Thank you so much for organizing the spring clave. I had a great time. The food was delicious. Whether it was the barbecued clams, the smoked blue fish and salmon or the chicken kabobs and beef kabobs. It was great to meet all the guys and to fish with them. I look forward to many more claves.

Frank

#6 ·
Juro,

Thanks for organizing this kick-off clave. It was good to see old faces as well as meet new ones. This is a great community, and it wouldn't be possible without your hard work not only keeping this site going, but also pulling together events like this weekend.

The food was awesome (by the way, what was the merinade - I gotta write that one down?), the fellowship great. Can't wait until the next get together!

Dave

#7 · (Edited)
Sunday Drew and I fished the tub- walking down from the light.
We fished the beginning of the flood from about 6 to 8:30 am. We caught about 30 fish, schoolies, but the average size seemed to be improving as the water came up. There were slightly better sizes than we got Saturday with Art. Drew also got himself this 5lb american shad.

Attachments

#8 ·
Nice to put names to faces Friday night, sorry the family obligations dictated such a late arrival.

Saturday AM as I loaded the boat and waited for John & Jimmy to awake the fog showed no signs of lifting and the wind was building.

By 7:30 the guys were rigged & ready & I made the call that having not run out of Stage Harbor before, running it in the fog was not the thing to do. John & Jimmy wanted to fish Monomoy so off I headed to Sesuit Harbor. A quick call to Pete Gray gets me a free breakfast and some company on the water. Pete had received a call from Capt. Art advising that he was pulling out of Stage Hrbor and would join us over on the bay side.

We ran down to Barnstable, scouted the outsie flats for changes and found some birds with fish under them. Schoolies but first fish of the year.

Inside the harbor produced schoolies as well, some large fish were spotted on the edges of the channels and troughs - no hook ups though.

A good shakedown cruise for the improvements made to the boat during the off-season. Sorry I couldn't get John & Jimmy into fish.

Roop

#11 ·
Thanks to Juro, and everyone involved what a great time and great food! always good to see all again. The fishing was hot and the numbers of fish made up for there size. I would like to give special thanks to capt. Art Sawayer (and Juro) for a great charter I would and will recommend him to all. Art put us on fish at every stop and was very patient considering the very high wind gusts! also want to thank the stone horse for accommodating a bunch of hardcores and hope we will have the spring clave based there again, we ussally camp and it was awelcome change. Looking foward to the end of the month as Chris and I will be camping at sweet water forest the 28 of may through june 2 hope to hook up with some of you thenThanks again!! DREW POrk slice hope you can hook up with us then :D

#13 ·
Sat 5/16 @SB

Took the Rip Ryder over to the drop off, fished the inside and landed about 10 fish in 45 minutes, all less than 20”. Headed to the outside looking for bigger fish. On my 3rd cast I was rewarded with a 30” striper, than another at 28”, one at 26” and a few more 18” and under. The fishing was a little slow on the outside early but once the pods starting moving it was wave after wave of fish. I was lucky to hook up and land a nice 32” fish after many small fish. A little later I landed my biggest of the year, a 35” striper (thanks Juro for taking a couple of pics).

Attachments

#20 ·
As always...

a great time.:D

It was great to see both the old friends and new friends. A Special Thank You goes out to Juro. You Da Man!! Thanks for all you've done both on and off the water. Another special thanks goes out to John. My home away from home always makes me feel welcome. See you in July. Maybe sooner if I get lucky.:)

#22 ·
Thanks Juro for organizing another great clave. The food turned out terrrific! Thanks to all that brought food, wine and good spirits. Didn't get to chat or meet with everyone working the grill, another time perhaps.
Juro, I'm curious too what was that marinade on the beef again? I'd like to try that again too. I hope we can do a repeat at the Stone Horse again, very nice. What a great evening meal and visit to the CAC.

Dave17, Thanks for the assist in the Wee hours setting up my new lines on the Atlantis. After working out some issues I found it too cast and catch fish just fine :p

It was Great too meet some new faces and see some of the FFF regulars. Fishing was non-stop action on the outside when I arrived late to were the fish were passing by. Nice to have the extra reach with the Atlantis at hand. First time using it fishing I was surprised how tired my stripping hands became since the smaller fish never got on the reel, and the casts were longer.
Allready looking towards the next one.

Tight Lines,

Greg.

#24 ·
A better look at the shad.

Chris said:
Sunday Drew and I fished the tub- walking down from the light.
We fished the beginning of the flood from about 6 to 8:30 am. We caught about 30 fish, schoolies, but the average size seemed to be improving as the water came up. There were slightly better sizes than we got Saturday with Art. Drew also got himself this 5lb american shad.

Attachments

#26 ·
thanks juro

Juro
thanks for putting on a stelar event. The conversations friday
night was well worth the trip, but the fishing saturday morning
was unbelievable. Dave thanks again for draging me over to the
ocean proberly would not of experienced that had you not sugested it. And to chris and andrew I will defiantly see you at sweet water. Thank you all for making my first spring clave
a memorable one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.