Baja report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 11:31 AM
any fish, any time

Baja report

thanks to everyone on the board who gave advice regarding my inquiries about Baja. Here is a brief report from my recent trip.

I traveled with my wife and baby, and fished the East Cape for 1 week. 4 days in a panga, not much time beach fishing.

Got some marlin trolling offshore in the early morning hours, and a few dorado which attacted others for sight casting.

Skipjack and bonito were awesome fun on 9 / 10 weight rods. A broken pump in the bait tank and some dead sardinas turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The little tunoids were crashing the dead bait on the surface, and a crease fly was perfect.

Also got a rooster of about 7 lbs ... and about 50 follows to the boat. Those are some discriminating fish! We saw roosters in the 30+ pound range every day.

I fished with a superb guide, a ex-pat gringo with a professional demeanor, energy, and experience. He worked for years for one of the more established East Cape services, and saw room for improvement, so now he's got his own operation. He's also now dead-seat on trying two handed rods in the surf. Any takers? He regularly got me onto roosters ... the problem was getting the fish to take!

thanks again to everyone here for the great advice.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like a fantastic trip, thanks for the report. Oh man, I can just hear my wife now... "you're going WHERE??"

I would love to go play Atlantis games in rooster country with him, most likely I am just going to have to send one to him without me though. Please PM his contact info and I will send one down to play with as my stock on hand allows.

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2004, 04:11 PM

need info on guide please?

I am heading there in mid july. Will be going to los barilles and punta colorado. Do you have a contact number for the guide? how much did you pay? Where did you fish at? JW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.