Take a moment... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Take a moment...

to send this message to congress (please)

Fill out this form and send it to voice your support for wild steelhead and salmon!

http://ga0.org/campaign/salmon_need_...=S11qLI41GakCW

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Jared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs down

Well I tried but the server/web site decided that living along the Skagit River in Washington State disqualifies me. And here I always thought this area was part of the PNW and shared in the salmon/steelhead legacy, or whatever...

mmm
Old 05-13-2004, 10:20 PM

Thumbs down ENOUGH! Ok, I'll put in my .02 cents here.

The 'thought behind' this mass e mail may have merit ... but stringing in "the Bush Administration" .... GIVE me a f**king break. Personally, I'm sick and tired of 'the Bush Administration' being 'responsible' for someone having athletes foot.
Spare me your complaints ... unless you have a viable/workable/usefull solution. Two courts have 'said what they've said,' bitching and a buck fifty will buy you a cup of coffee.

This subject has been beaten to death; two courts, the 'good guys' lost in both. Question is (and KJ ,and others, have some great input) is we got what we got. So how do we make it work to our advantage?

To be blunt, the Bolt requirements are still alive and well ... and "Duba" may well still have been in high school or early on in college. His fault too?

End of rant.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Re: ENOUGH! Ok, I'll put in my .02 cents here.

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans
... unless you have a viable/workable/usefull solution.
Yes I believe I do - Vote the bums out!

Who needs clean water or clean air? And fins are fins, even if they have two heads. Soon we can all wake to the sound of the chainsaws having another go at the remaining old growth forests.

Please remove those rose colored glasses and see the legal/environmental manipulations for what they are, debts payed to the administration's masters.

And gas pricing continues its steady rise with NO noticeable action by this administration; not surprising with the president being a Texan with many friends in the oil industry. It's all about greed. Take it while you can...

mmm
Old 05-13-2004, 11:45 PM

MMM, suck up!

"And gas pricing continues its steady rise with NO noticeable action by this administration; not surprising with the president being a Texan with many friends in the oil industry. It's all about greed. Take it while you can..."

If you really think a President of the United States can really have an impact on these kinds of topics ... you've been watching 'west wing' far too much.

Gentlemen/Ladies: We've had the Golden Goose dropped into our laps on this one ... if you 'really care' (beyond ranting) these court holdings are GOLD!!!

Stuff the rants, think this one through as to where you can really go with it. Gentlemen: it's "Silver Plater" time!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans
We've had the Golden Goose dropped into our laps on this one ...
...although ALL the golden eggs were stolen beforehand. Do be careful with what that Golden Goose plans to leave you! It will be quite messy before it is over.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr Mustard; 05-14-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

As to the original post...

The site answered my email:

"Our system developed a major bug when the alert on wednesday went out. That is why you experienced the problems.

I have been assured that the problem has been fixed."

So I will try again.

mmm
Old 05-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

CLARIFICATION

My intent in posting this had nothing to do with politics, although yes I see that the website does jab the finger that way.

In fact I have become conditioned to IGNORE the political content in these things and concentrate on the core problem - HATCHERY FISH ARE NOT WILD FISH GODDAMMIT. Please excuse the American.

I only posted this because it's an easy and convenient way to TAKE ACTION and communicate one's concern about this ludicrous ruling to congress, period.

So therefore as anglers you have two choices:

1) get so hung up in the political BS that you can't act

2) ignore the incessant ranting on both sides of the political quagmire and help the wild fish

Up to you, sorry if the page offended anyone - I did not create the page, I simply wanted to bring the link to send mail to more people's fingertips. Frankly I don't give a damn about the politics - that just screws up the core issue of protecting wild species in the US.

F*** POLITICS!

Juro
Old 05-14-2004, 09:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
F**** Politics

I agree with Juro F---- politics.

My political and religious beliefs are mine. You dont need to read them on this list. Likewise I dont need, or want to read yours.

If I have hurt your feelings, thats the way it goes, Sorry.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up Juro: BINGO!!

(So therefore as anglers you have two choices

1) get so hung up in the political BS that you can't act

2) ignore the incessant ranting on both sides of the political quagmire and help the wild fish

Two short sentences covered the ground.
Fred Evans
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 AM

Geez, Louise...

Just when some people start to think about what they're writing, this stuff floats to the top again... thanks, Juro and Fred.

For those who must link Kerry or Bush with the question of wild fish, fishery managment or other issues that are important to fishermen: If you start with a political rant, you've lost half your audience (assuming the country is a 50/50 split). Do you want to gain support or just vent?

Venting is fine, but don't confuse it with "doing something" for fisheries.

Keith
Old 05-14-2004, 11:22 AM

Sage advice... (not about Rods)

Keith Jackson, I am going to clip ypur post and enlarge it and maybe even put it on padded tounge depressor to aid in biting my tounge as I jerk my knee and try to restrain myself from calling a spade a spade.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:18 PM
removed_by_request

I went to the site just to see what all the hoopla was about.

Look at the title of the article;

"Bush Administration Attacks Salmon & Steelhead Recovery Efforts "

Now I ask does the man stand for the administration or does the administartion stand for the man?

Putting all politics aside is a hard thing to do. Can you blame one man? Or the people he helped put in office?

I myself detest all things political, for those views can be twisted to meet the needs of the person doing the twisting.

Just enjoy what you have, for nothing lasts forever.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:16 PM

yes

i thought talking politics,religion,and what the best refreshment is,is ungentlemanly,unless you're at the pub,,,
Old 05-14-2004, 10:47 PM

From the Wall Street Journal and NY Times Web Sites

U.S. to Continue Protecting Most Salmon
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: May 14, 2004

Filed at 8:51 p.m. ET

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) -- All but one of the 26 runs of Pacific salmon listed as threatened or endangered species are likely to retain federal protection, the Bush administration told Congress Friday.

The decision comes despite a proposal to count hatchery fish as equivalent to wild ones, even though biologists have long warned that fish introduced in the wild from hatcheries are harmful to the salmon gene pool.
Advertisement

In a letter to Congress, Commerce Undersecretary Conrad C. Lautenbacher Jr., who oversees the federal agency responsible for restoring dwindling salmon populations, wrote that the government never intended to substitute hatcheries for naturally spawning salmon, but that hatcheries were playing an important role in restoring depleted runs.

He said a final proposal would be ready in two weeks, but the agency plans to propose relisting ``at least 25 of the 26 species.''

The proposal to count hatchery fish with wild in determining Endangered Species Act listings of salmon generated strong criticism from fisheries scientists, members of Congress and Northwest governors.

``I'm sure this is their attempt to set the record straight and clarify the confusion that existed,'' said Jim Myron, a natural resources adviser to Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski.

Biologists have long warned that hatcheries are one of the leading factors in the overall decline of Pacific salmon. Poor practices in the past have depleted the gene pool, and crowded conditions led to rapid spread of disease. Young hatchery fish released into rivers compete with wild fish for food, but are less successful at surviving predators and other hazards to return as adults.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.