If you had to pick one fly... - Page 4 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Banned

MMM, don't forget the green thingy and the red thingy. Know
of 5 40 plus inch thingy's that were landed on those
thingy's within a 2 week thingy. Pretty damn good for just
a thingy! Uh Oh, here comes the envyomercial.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Sorry OC, it got worse over night not better. I suggest to not read this thread anymore and perhaps in a day or two this will come to a head and mercifully stop.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Banned

KerryS - I agree - having the faith of a child is
one thing. Getting wrapped up in childish games
is completely another. One of my biggest problems
is not being able to back down from the truth -
sometimes it's just better to just shut up! People
will either accept it or they won't. Some of the ones
that won't will do everything in their power to
undermine something that is good - bummer! I'm
sorry if some people feel that I'm "stuff of legends",
"class of my own" etc. That was never my
intention. My intention is - If I can do it, so can
anyone else. I believe in trying to put my fishing
partners above the fish - and yes I'm far from
perfect! Okay - I'll shut up now
Old 05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sharp Steelie,

I have tried in very polite and civil ways to point out why your posting that if a newcomer to steelhead fly fishing simply goes out and uses one of your three flies with the best of the lot being the "pink fly" leads them down the primrose path of not developing their technique and it has gone nowhere since you always have some inane retort and put down of anyone who questions your advice.

I have also tried in polite and respectful ways to point out why telling newcomers to steelhead fly fishing need to pay attention to water temp, water level, water clarity, time of year, and river being fish is important to their unltimate success and development as steelhead fly fishers and you likewise had inane and juvenile responses to them.

In similar fashion I have tried in equally polite, civil, and respectful ways get the information out that simply thinking of steelhead fishing as resident rainbow trout fishing is disingenuous and leads newcomers astray. Your response to this was similar inane, juvenile, and ego driven drivel, which was very tainted with vetriolic challenges to me.

You have also found it necesary to use vitriolic challenges to others who have attempted in respectful and civil ways to have you quit the bombastic claims you have been making about how wonderful your "pink fly"is and how great a steelhead fly fisher you are.

In case you haen't noticed, the members of this fishing site do not go about with the self-aggrandizement of their fishing prowess or bombastic claims about the universal and supreme effectiveness of any one of their flies. Instead, this is a company of gentlemen who like to share their knowledge of the sport they love with others who love the sport, regardless of their level of experience or expertise.

Whether anyone has been able to go out and pretty much catch fish at will or take out newbies and have them catch the fish of a lifetime their first time out is immaterial. In fact, the folks who participate herein very rarely say anything about the fishing, let alone the numbers and sizes of the fish they have caught or how many people they took out the first time (or 100th time for that matter) who have caught large steelhead because the newcomer did what the experienced fisher coached him to do.

What is important is that this is a company of gentlemen that enjoy civil discourse with each other (if you don't believe this is possible simply read the threads on the NOAA Fisheries salmon recovery policy change, a topic laden with emotion).

You on the other hand have been making veiled and outright threats to some who differ with you; have discocunted in a superficial and inane manner questions or comments about not making things oversimplified or overgeneralized; have gone out of your way to defend yourself when there was no attack of your methods; have resorted to immature ranting and wholesale put downs directed at any and all who may disagree with you or dare to point out the dangers of gross generalization regrading fishing method or flies; and you have not been gentlemanly, civil, respectful, or polite when discoursing with others.

Therefore, I am requesting you to be civil, polite, respectful, and gentlemanly in any future posts and discourses or I will simply delete any that are not civil, polite, respectful, or gentlemanly because the folks who come here to share and learn deserve no less than this.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Sharpy,

At the risk of being banned, censored or perhaps flogged by the forum moderator I make the following comments.

Probably the worst thing that happened to me today is you agreeing with me and that is saying something considering I am the manager of a construction company’s wide area network. Maybe a more appropriate job description would be high paid baby sitter. At any rate suffice to say I can take a lot of crap.

I watched while you did your self promoting bull crap on that other board. You know the one you got yourself kick off of for doing it. Now, I see you doing the same thing here. Have you ever wondered why you get the same response to you claims here that you got on the other board?

I come to this board because for the most part the people here are friendly, humble, knowledgeable, and do not seek the sort of perverted self justification that you seem to need. Please do me a favor, if you happen to agree with something I say on this board. Keep it to yourself.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.