Worms - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 AM
CantAnchorUs

Worms

Well they`re here, both the worms and the bigger fish. Dumped the boat in Ninigret Pond today and spent 2 hours fruitlessly looking for worms without seeing a single one. Then about 4 o`clock they started to show soon there were little tracers zooming everywhere. The cove came alive with fish slurping away, some were very impressive. Awful cold with that breese off the ocean. A little after 7 they just shut down, there wasn`t a swirl to be seen. Score for the day, zero, zilch, nada. I don`t know if my new fly is a failure or it was some other reason, it sure looks right in the water. 5 boats out in the pond and I only saw one fish caught.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 06:15 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Yikes...Talk about...

A narrow window of opportunity!? Fishin' vs Catchin'...
Steve...It was swell that you were able to be there for the hatch! Being there is #1 on the list!
'Only been there on several occassions myself...
The first time I had no worm flys...
The second time was a little better and I got some "mercy strikes" but I think that a little "corker" to hold my feeble presentations nearer to the surface might have helped...
I carry a few of them now but haven't had the opportunity to experiment...
The moon/tide/time/and you all lined up just right for the big event...Congratz!
Too bad it doesn't always happen right after lunch on a warm, sunny afternoon! in July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2004, 07:09 AM

I might get into them on Monday. Will see what happens. I have heard all about this hatch and would like a chance at it.
FishHawk
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 AM

I hate the bleedin worm hatches!

I can remember back when nobody knew what the worms were. All's we knew was there were dozens of stripers feeding under our rod tips that were uncatchable. Many frustrating nights of seeing hundreds of stripers and catching none. The back channel at Charleston was notorious for numbers of uncatchable bass which splashed around all night.

Since then, the worm hatch has been figured out, quality imitations and techniques figured out and guys who weren't even born yet when I was being stumped are experts at taking fish during a worm hatch.
For some reason I have never gone back and tried to learn it. I generally avoid worm hatches just like I avoid bass feeding on densely packed silversides. Personally, I'd rather not see any fish when I get skunked. Seeing hundreds and getting skunked just ain't fun anymore.
I guess I've caught enough bass over the years to lose that hunger which drives men to sacrifice sleep, money and relations with women in the pursuit of 18 inch stripers that won't hit.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM
CantAnchorUs

Money? Whats that? Women, gave them up 20 yrs ago, more trouble than they were worth.
Sleep, well thats somthing you do when the fish leave.
Slinger
Old 05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Fly chucker

Steve, good points....

Also, fish much bigger than 18 inches are caught on worm patterns.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:55 PM

I didn't word that right.
I know big fish are caught during worm hatches.
I didn't meanh to disparage anybody else's priorities.

I was refering to many trips I made when I was younger which cost me lots of time, money and stress on my marriage but only produced small fish or no fish.
I no longer have the hunger that drove me to behave like I did 15 years ago.
I fish alot less and am very selective about how I spend that little time.
Getting frustrated over a bunch of small fish feeding on worms makes me regret spending what little time I have.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have a deep respect for anyone who has spent the time to decode this phenomenon. I tried it several times and even when I found them in full slurpitude I ended up doing better waiting for the tide to start ebbing and swinging a fly in the wake of some structure where the fish were grabbing worms in the current. The flat calm slurpers had me pulling my hair out.

On the other hand I had twice that frustration on the flats when I started sight fishing years ago, yet over time it's become a consistent venture with huge rewards for the time I'd invested. I now believe it's among the most reliable ways of fishing for stripers.

I agree with Mike in the sense that you only get so much time to invest, and perhaps for some people the worm hatch is not the greatest investment of time - while for others it's clearly a labor of love, to each his/her own because it's satisfaction that we fish for in the end, not fish IMHO.

I am glad I spent my time deciphering the flats, they are my passion. That being said, I truly have a deep respect for those who have cracked the code on this fishery, like Capt. Bob Hines.

So many ways to fish, so little time...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
BB5 Survivor

Most of my worm spots are a night affair....for those of you who haven't tried Ninigret -- it is tres cool to see the little critters in daylight!!

For bio-activity the "hatch" (it's really a swarm) rivals if not surpasses any mayfly or caddis hatch you can imagine. And while I agree it can be frustrating at times to catch so few fish when there are so many visibly feeding -- when one hits it right it is truly phenomenal.

Best advice to folks is to A. keep at it and B. keep your eyes & ears open -- the hatches happen in a lot more places and for a LOT longer (in terms of the course of the summer) than most people have any idea.....

-jared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.