Stripers invade Cape Cod 5/6 Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Recent Member

Talking Stripers invade Cape Cod 5/6 Report

Today was not a planned day of fishing, but when Mother Nature gives you sunny and 5 mph winds you take it and run! At 0800 I called Pete Gray and told him I was heading out and asked if he wanted to go. Like me, Pete had other plans for the day, but also knew the value of a weather window. By 0830 we were OTW at Bourne Marina and headed out.

I had a game plan in mind based on my archived reports. We ran out into Buzzards Bay and began to look for the huge pods of bass that move through in the spring. Every year within a week or so the fish move through the area and feed non-stop. We started a search pattern to see if my intuition would be right. After about 30 minutes of searching there was no doubt my game plan was solid! We saw the birds at a distance and as we ran up on them we realized there were hundreds of them. Terns, wheeling and diving over breaking fish. The water was FAC so seeing the fish was easy. You could look down and watch as thousands of migrating fish passed under the boat.

The fish were feeding heavy but they were eating something really small, like worms or krill. We weren’t throwing what they were eating, but they would eat what we were throwing if the presentation was good. About 5-10 casts were what it took to hook up. Even when throwing right into the breaking fish. They would follow nearly every lure or fly we tried, but it took some work to get bit.

Pete and I threw flies most of the morning, then I grabbed the 7’ St Croix and started tossing rubber. Even the rubber was not it’s usual every cast effective. About one in 3 casts would yield a fish.

We chased the birds and followed the new sounder to be sure we were on the main body of fish. The sounder at times was covered from top to bottom with fish. Around 1400 we decided to leave them biting and head for the dock.

The final tally for the day was around 40-50 fish for each of us. Pete got big fish of the day with a 34.5” 11.5# bass on the fly. We had around 20 fish today that would have been “keepers”. All fish were released. The flies of choice were large herring patterns and Pete’s version of a Ray’s fly. Although not what they were eating the big flies got noticed. Lure of choice was a herring colored Calcutta Baits rubber shad (like a Storm shad only better The water was FAC and 56.8 degrees. The depth ranged from 20-30'. The wind was light out of the SW around 5-10. It was bright and sunny and we were the only boat on the fish all day. Overall a stellar way to light off the season. I guess the new boat does have good mojo!

Capt. Terry Nugent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Fly chucker

Way to go Pete!

Did you use those big herring flies? You know, the ones that you brought to the SWE fair?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Terry...That was a super report and I was glad to read That! What a great day!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:30 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Striper Thumbs...

What Capt Terry already said!

I think there was some sort of Isopod or Crab hatch going on!
The BIG herring flys are destined to be drowned SOON...
Today involved mostly large decievers...olive over white with some flash and BIG eyezz...Definitely wasn't matching the expected hatch...
Mostly the Stripes were rolling/slurping and would refuse more often than not...'been there 'done that...mercy strikes are now being accepted!
My winter shoulder rehab was a good thing!
Anyone thinking about Lasic eye surgery...I had my right eye done last Friday and I can actually see what I'm looking for...especially when the Right Honourable Capt Nugent is kind enough to let me stand up front while he positions the boat where even a BLIND MAN could sight cast!!!
Life is GOOD...

p.s.
And I might add...
Capt Terry has found several intermediate throttle setting, besides all ahead full and stop...
The learning curve is progressing nicely and all the whistles and bells are startting to make sense...
Nice ride, striped schnauzer stink on my hands, and fine company...Some swell day!
Thanks Terry!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:51 AM
LT 20

Nice report

Thanks Terry and Pete.

Pete sounds like the night we had with captain Murrphy.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Middle Aged Member

Great report.

Pete, you look like you've been passing on that second pork chop at dinner. What's the secret? I've put on about 30 #'s this winter, feel like a bloated walrus. I need to start hiking the beaches soon.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

I've got a feeling it's gonna be PERFECT TIMING during the spring clave!

Thanks for the update. Right on time again this year.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Striper hound

Re: Nice report

Quote:
Originally posted by craig
Thanks Terry and Pete.

Pete sounds like the night we had with captain Murrphy.
Yeah except you got to choose whatever fly you wanted to use
Old 05-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Terry,
Great report. Thanks for posting! That's what a report is supposed to read like.

Nick

Pete, did the fish catch you in that pic?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.