Budget SW Reel? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to randingo Send a message via Yahoo to randingo
Question Budget SW Reel?

Hi. I'm trying to put together an outfit for stripers at the Jersey Shore on a *really* tight budget. I've got a line on a used Sage RPLX 1090 for a good price and I'm trying to find a reel for something like $150 (or less, if possible) that I won't regret buying in a month and will stand up to a couple of years of use. Right now, I'm looking at a Tioga 12LA that I might be able to pick up for around $100. My sense is that, relative to something like the XI2, the RPLX feels somewhat heavier in the tip and may take the extra weight of the slightly oversized reel well. I'll also get the true benefit of the large arbor. Does this seem a reasonable choice or do you have other affordable suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 06:56 AM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Thumbs up Tioga reels

I own a few, including the LA12 and I can attest that they are very good reels. The entire drag assembly is sealed, no parts to worry about losing or adjusting. The drag works quite well and handles big fish. Look at E Bay, get brand new one in the price range you seek.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Bauer Pauer

I may be a little late in replying but if you haven't purchased a reel yet take a look at the Redington GD 9/10. For around $130 it's tough to beat.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Marine Scientist

Randingo - Having owned both Tioga and GD reels, I'd go with the Tioga for the better drag.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to randingo Send a message via Yahoo to randingo
Thanks for your input

Thanks for helping me out. I picked up a new Tioga 12LA on ebay for $99 bucks. I think it was a pretty good deal and should keep me happy for a while. Any thoughts about line for an RPLX 1090? I'm thinking about an Airflo 35' Intermediate shooting head but would be happy to hear what else you might recommend. Should I get a full floater as well? If so, any thoughts? Thanks again.

Randy
Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Bauer Pauer

Which ever line you decide you should consider over lining that rod. Especially with an Intermediate line. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Here fishy fishy

I overline my 1090 by 1 for floater & intermediate, and use a 450 grain depth charge for sinking. Find going 1 up causes it to load a bit nicer - at least for me. your mileage may vary...

It's a good rod. Have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.