Do you really care if you catch a fish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 05:10 AM

Do you really care if you catch a fish?

In today's competitive society sometimes we get caught up in the competition of fishing. Do you really care about catching a fish or the whole expierence of being out in nature? On several trips out West I watched my type A friends get very frustrated when they could not catch fish. Once they relaxed and forgot about the competitive aspects of fish they enjoyed themselves.
So for me its the whole experince. I may not get the largest fish of the trip but that's ok I fish to relax not to compete.
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 06:52 AM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Wink You mean you can actually catch fish with these rods?

One of the cool things about playing around with spey rods is that there is so much to do with all the different lines and casts that as much time is spent just casting for fun as is spent fishing. The river I spend most of my time on experiences some nice runs of fish, but also some serious dead periods as well. You'll see guys out there for hours having a ball with just a piece of yarn on the end of the leader. Must be a Zen kind of thing. Fish and no fish being one and the same. That is until someone else hooks up. But to answer your question directly, if I needed a fish each trip out to feel justified in my fishing efforts I'd have quit long ago. And the "My fish is bigger than your fish" competition thing? Freud had some choice comments on this kind of person. Something along the lines of "The guy who needs to brag about his big fish is compensating for a lack of big fish in other areas of his life". :hehe:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2004, 07:55 AM

Yeah I care if I catch fish and the bigger the better but that does not mean I don't enjoy the time if the striped rodent pays me a call. There is a lot that goes into the fishing experience and I love it all but the core nugget of purpose is to catch fish.

Gregg
Old 05-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Fluff

Interesting, this-

No, not really. This discussion has occurred between myself and several others here, recognizeable names, similar sentiments; fishing isn't unsuccessful or unrewarding if you don't catch fish.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Marine Scientist

Having lived in Georgia for four years in the not-too-distant past, if catching fish on every outing was all that mattered to me, I would have given it up back then. When I was younger, growing up on a lake in Southern New Jersey and fishing nearly every day of the year, I wanted to catch fish everytime I went out, and naturally my friends and I always had a competition going. Now, living in the city (Bronx) and being surrounded by the urban sprawl, all I want to do is get out and wet a line, and if I hook and land a few, it sweetens the experience. But if I return to the car at the end of the day having landed no fish, it's okay; there's always next time.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:03 AM

If I didn't care about catching fish, I'm not sure why I would bother fishing.
Sure I love to be out doors, intensly observing my surroundings, and sometimes just soaking it all in...sometimes just getting soaked.
Sometimes I tell myself that i don't really need to catch fish to have a good time, and then I catch one. " Ahhhh, that feels better."
Old 05-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hmmm... well that depends, what does it feel like to not catch fish?

J/K - to me a magnificent fish (not a schoolie, jack salmon, grilse or half-pounder but a trophy specimen) is confirmation that I am committed to the pursuit, that I am intense about the study of the game, and that the direction I am going in is worth travelling further. I do indeed enjoy even fishless days, but however much I enjoy the journey I need to see the destinations once in a while to stay deeply inspired. I'd rather be a conquerer than a nomad, but the long road to big conquests makes the victory all the sweeter.

Perhaps that's why I'm among the ranks who seek steelhead on a fly with traditional spey methods, find the dog days the most intriguing on Monomoy, and am enamored with trying to out-stealth paranoid bonefish. I've yet to chase them but roosterfish sure sound like my kind of quarry - beautiful to behold, big, strong and extremely hard to get. So many species, so little time.

Of course, the best part is... the release.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM

H'mm, I'd rather catch fish but it's enjoyable all the same if I don't.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Fly chucker

To be honest, yes it does matter if I catch fish.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have a great time even if I don't catch anything. There are far too many other variables involved in fishing that I enjoy.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
President of CAC

I love to catch fish, but love being out on the beach too. I hate watching Penguin and Juro catch fish though while I am not.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Middle Aged Member

No doubt about it. My goal is to catch the biggest and most fish. I feel empty and depressed after a day watching people like Juro, roop or Penguin constantly hooked up. As his former personal caddy I always root for striblue.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
Yup it matters

To me it matters, If it didnt I wouldnt have an arsenal of fly rods. CND Sage and Loomis would be a little poorer.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:59 AM
just say no to bait

Actually I don't really need to catch fish. It's the expectation. It's the anticipation. All the effort tying, traveling, learning the river system. It leeds to that rush of emotion that happens the moment the fish strikes! If the fish is landed , so much the better, I do enjoy a fish dinner with family.

Don't get me started on sight fishing to fish that are unaware of my presence.

N I
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

I go fly fishing to have fun! There really is something
to be said about "expectations". Everytime heading out
I don't expect to catch anything. Because of not expecting
to catch fish - I don't put myself under any pressure.
Guess what - when there is no personal pressure, tend to
focus more and catch fish! It's all about fun - not
competition!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:20 AM

Fishing vs. Catching Fish

Having just returned from a rather unsuccessful trip to SE Alaska this really hits home. Did I enjoy the vacation as much as if I had landed some chrome? No! But was the fishing enjoyable? Absolutely! I agree with Moose that the spey rod and the casting has added a new dimension to the fishing. Every cast was made with the expectation of feeling that tug, but the next cast would be a better one. I would slow down, stop the rod higher, and form a tighter loop. I spent hours to improve my casting techniques and came home looking forward to my next trip (for Atlantics the end of June) knowing that my casting will be improved, thus making the trip even more enjoyable with or without fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.