Needed: "big fly" book - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Marine Scientist

Needed: "big fly" book

With the advent of these new "thundersticks" that can throw previously-insane lengths of line with large patterns in-tow, it's about time that someone put together a book of large fly patterns showing their recipes and tying steps. Something along the lines of Hughes Trout Flies book, which shows step-by-step tying, would be great; one instructional for a general pattern with variants listed and pictured, as well as which baitfish those patterns might emmulate. Additional information on actually fishing the patterns would be useful. Sure, this could turn into a big book, but I don't think that there's any question that it would be a big seller within the coastal fly fishing community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Very good point.

I have been able to throw small chickens (well ok cornish hens) with the Atlantis reasonable distances and without working hard, but the investigation of new patterns is definitely on the mind.

At recent shows I had great chats with Bob Pop, Dave Skok, and I want to chat with Mark Sedotti on the topic as well. BobP's hollow flared bucktail patterns can be ganged over a long length without adding useless mass. Dave Skok has had a huge bunker pattern in his repertoire for some time now, in fact many shops carry them. Mark's big flies speak for themselves in terms of castability.

The best approach in my opinion is to push the envelope of big flies with the new two-handed tools but not forget about the characteristics of good design just because there are more horses to push them over the waves. I found that when I tied 11-13" monster flies the big lines could throw them 100' but not 120' or 140' like the smaller flies would. Therefore I assume that by paying attention to the clever designs made by single-handed anglers and applying them to big gear, the greater coverage and reach can be fully exploited, and with little effort while casting.

Perhaps while the herring are still in town we could explore this area and share our findings on the site.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
Perhaps while the herring are still in town we could explore this area and share our findings on the site.
Exactly, what better time than now? You're absolutely right about adapting single-hand patterns for double-hand rods.

I tied a 7" herring pattern a couple of months ago that used the same concepts as the hollow fleye (though I wasn't aware of that technique at the time), however it's much more full in appearance. I was looking over the thread regarding huge patterns the other day and saw the idea about the extended body with a tube and realized that I could easily add 6" or more to my pattern with that technique. As I read through that thread I was thinking that a book would be a great resource. Perhaps it could showcase patterns by various innovative tiers (such as in Veverka's book, however in a greatly expanded format), show tying steps, recipes, and variants, then have a reference table with baitfish and the appropriate patterns of imitation.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Wanna be striper bum

I have tied some biggish Sedotti Slammers (read steps in Veverka's book) and I was always amazed that the flies casted fairly well for big flies.

I have tied 8 inch versions but my Schlappen hackle really is not big enough to tie larger flies. The 8 inchers cast really well though

Maybe it has to do with the weight that you tie in around the hook shank. Despite the weight the fly does not cast with a slingshot style and I suppose that this is true because the well thought out mass of feathers and bucktail hanging onto the hook compensates for the weight.

The fly does not get waterlogged either.

Either way I really like casting with that fly.

I will admit that I have not tried to cast too many other large flies though.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.