Equipments in Miramichi? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Recent Member

Equipments in Miramichi?

I have 3 days fishingtrip in middle of May at Miramichi River eastern Canada. Iīm novice flyfisherman and havenīt been before flyfishing salmon. I will buy new rod and lines etc. next week. I would be verys greatfull, if somebody has advices:

What kind of equipments I should buy for Miramichi. One-hand or two-hand rod? Which class? What kind of line (intermediate, sinking...). Special flies?...

-Millman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 02:47 PM

Mid May is not a very good time to be fishing the Miramichi. It's too late for "Black Salmon" and too early for "Bright Salmon". There might be a few sea run brook trout available. The best time for "BlacK salnon is April 15th to May 7th. The best time for "Bright Salmon' is the month of July and the last 2 weeks in September and the first 2 weeks in October.

A 9 foot 8 or 9 weight fly rod with a reel that hold 200 yards of backing is the fly fishing equipment you need. There are a number of fly shops along the river, and they can help you with a selection of flies that are best for the river.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Recent Member

Thank you for your answer. You wrote that mid May isnīt good time for fishing in Miramichi? Last year it was if I believe what is said in Country Heavenīs website.

YEAR 2003 River Report

May 18th

Another great week of Fishing on the Miramichi as fishermen are still catching good numbers of fish. Debbie Mallory had another great day on Sunday, landing 12 more for a total of 29 in 2 1/2 days of fishing. Anyone visiting the ski Resort on Hunter Mountain NY...
Old 05-02-2004, 05:32 PM

I have to admit; "Black Salmon" fishing is not my cup of tea. "Blacks" are salmon that came into the river last summer, spawned last November, stayed in the river all winter, and are now finally going back to sea. They are ravenous and will take any fly that come in front of their nose. Usually this fishing is all over by the middle of May

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.