1st Strippers of the season - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 08:15 PM
resigned

1st Strippers of the season

Driving home from work this evening at 6:30 pm, I crossed the bridge to the island where we live in Mystic, Ct.. and as I looked out into the estuary I longed for the long rod in my my hand wondering if the stripers were back after this long cold winter. The first thing my son said when he arrived home shortly thereafter was "Hey Dad, that marsh sure does look fishy!" My 10 year old daughter said "Can I come, please!" That was my cue! Dinner will have to wait! My son Timothy is Home from Bozeman, Montana and has been itching for his first striper after four years away. "Get the waders!" I said and I managed to find a pair of old fly weights for my daughter along with the sneakers she had recently muddied on a event with her friends in the marsh. So, here we were, the three of us just happy to be in the water that we have waited all winter to imerse ourselves in. With flies chosen and rods rigged, you could not have met three happier people! The water sure looked fishy. The blue bird sky was turning dark as we started to lay our lines out. No activity and no sign of bait on the last of the outgoing tide. Ten or fifteen casts later my son was asking if we were wasting our time? No sooner than he was done with that phrase I launched my best cast of the evening and the water boiled under my line as it straightened out over the channel. STRIPERS!!!!! Three strips and I was into a five lb. bass on my 9 wt.. I asked my son to cast near my tippet and he too was into a twinkie. Ya Mon! A double! Caught another shortly thereafter as darkness approached. Nina was ready to go home having landed the last fish in the darkness. She really likes the waders! Looks like there's a seven weight in her future! Tight lines folks! Another season begins!!!!!!

Phil Sheffield
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Great post Phil! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wont be long now! Thanks Phil. I'd better start tying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 AM
resigned

Sorry about the spelling! Have not been to a strip club in recent memory! LOL! There are lots of big fish beening caught at the dams locally due to the herring runs. That started three weeks ago! Thames and Pawcatuck Rivers. I would like to fish the Narrow River in RI. Never been there. Can anyone fill me in?

Phil
Old 04-29-2004, 08:22 AM

Phil,

I'm originally from Norwich, do you know of any good wading spots in SE Connecticut? I'd like to have a place to go when I go back to visit my parents.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2004, 06:17 PM
resigned

Yes Dave. Email me when you plan a visit again and I'll show you a few spots. When are you coming down again?

Phil
Old 04-29-2004, 09:05 PM
CantAnchorUs

Hey Phil!
The breachways should have fish this weekend with all this warm air. We`re on the short time to worms now!
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.