Pike Clave III report - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Fly chucker

Pike Clave III report

Our third annual pike clave turned out to be held on a single boat. A few members had to cancel in the week leading up to the event, so Adrian and I went out to try and harass some fish.

Our timing on the water coincided with a few hours before low tide; there's about two feet worth of tidal influence on the CT River as far north as we were, so some pike areas were not quite accessible from the start. We tried a few of my early season striper spots with no dice. We then started our search for pike and began to see them here and there, honest 30" plus fish. But the bigger fish were not interested in what we were casting.

We ended up in a very much out of the way backwater channel and started to catch a mixed bag of fish.....largemouth bass, yellow perch, sunfish, crappie, and yes, even some small pike. This particular area held the most active fish of the day, probably because of water temperature. We tried a few other spots, and although there were some follows and short strikes from bigger pike, we only landed smaller fish.

It was interesting to note that both pike hooked by Adrian were caught on a small clouser that he was using trying to dupe some of the smaller species. And a crappie that he caught was enormous....an honest 12 or 13", and well over a pound in weight. Adrian, don't expect me to be able to call a shot like that again any time soon.

All in all it was a fine day, if not a bit on the cold and windy side. I had a blast fishing with Adrian and very much look forward to the next time we hook up.

Coming next spring....Pike Clave IV.

Oh, and Pete....I'm ready for some bigger pike.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Flats Rat

And a bit of photo journalism ....

..to go with Marks excellent report

Mark, thanks for a great day! Much as I love fishing from the Kayak, it was very nice to travel the river in style
Old 04-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Mark, your 4 wt pike set up is not a good idea up here! I'll try to snoop for some bigger critters, season starts May 8 up here, but my guess is that I'll stay with the 9 wt rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pike-message#2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	3181  
Old 04-26-2004, 07:49 PM
_

Good one Pete! How big is that fish?

Great report Mark. Sounds like you guys had some decent fishing even if the big ones didn't cooperate. Wish I could have made the trip down -- Maybe next year???

I did manage to get out and chase some local pike but didn't have much success. I decided to try each of the pike swap flies until I caught something on it. Well, the fish didn't want to play that game so I just switched to a new fly every half hour or so. Mark's Piker Blonde was the only fly that fooled a pike, a scrappy 22"er that came off the hook at the boat. Another fish of about the same size followed my yellow rabbit strip fly but didn't hit. That was it for pike sightings. I also caught a few monster yellow perch on a woolly bugger.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Fly chucker

Quentin, thanks for the feedback on the piker blonde...good to hear it works, and glad you were able to get some fishing in.

Pete, what can I say? If the fish up your way talk trash like that, I might not wanna come! :hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.