Am I just being too 'sensitive'? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Am I just being too 'sensitive'?

(Rant mode on)

There are three things that take place on the fish-internet that raise my ire (And I know I am not alone here):

1) People who must post specifics about rivers. This is pretty much self explanatory, and thankfully it is kept in check here.

2) Glory grip and grin shots. Come on guys, does everybody aspire to be Tom Pero and have your mug plastered on every magazine cover?

3) Specifics about numbers of fish, for the whole world to see, when used in ANY context other than 'scientific' purposes. I can not care any less about how many, when, what flies, or where. The number of notches on your headboard is YOUR business, please spare the world of your braggadocio.

(Rant mode off)

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Chief of E.P.

Finally a good rant

Agree 100% on items 1 and 3. Had not thought too much about #2 until you posted it. Since I don't want to be compared to the person listed, I guess I better get a new pic for my avatar.

Does it count if it was taken with a disposable camera and not Photo Shopped Nevermind.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:42 PM

1) I agree

2) Depends on purpose, I'm anti "look at me"

3) You know, I think this depends on context. I posted the other day about putting fish (with a dry line) on the beach. Was I bragging I don't think I was. The point was the fish will move to take the fly.

Andre
Old 04-27-2004, 09:19 PM

In regards to items 1,2,3 I think most of the people who frequent this board are pretty much a class act from what I have seen, in comparison to some other sites. I don't think your going to see as many grip and grin shots either with the new rules in efect, at least in this state!

Brian
Old 04-27-2004, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
andre,
Same reason I mentioned #'s the other day on scratching the bottom thread. Wanted to convince some guys that they dont always have to fish on the bottom ,with some stats[which is all some guys will listen to]!!!
What really riles me about hero shots is when I see guys do it with every fricking average size fish they catch.Geazz! Is that necessary?I saw guys on Skeena that took pictures of every fish and pulled them up on the rocks to do it!Not one over 13-14! I mean like 15-20 fish for 4 guys!!I also hate it when they drag them out on the rocks.Saw a Loop team Dane do it over and over on the Dean. My experience has been when there is a commercial interest involved that guys will go the limit to get a hero shot for an ad.We finaly intervened aggressively!!!I still like a shot once in a while if it is mid 20's and up. But even than prefer more artistic shots.I.E., extreme closeups ,partials. etc. especially if you can still have some scale to imply the enormity as well as the beauty.Beau
Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 PM

William,

one of the reasons that I pay attention to this site and nearly no others is because of the lack on #'s1,2 and 3. Is your rant to let us know that we are lucky to all share this informative site or have I missed some violations of 1,2 and/or 3?

Beau,

I'll one up you. How about the guy that plays a fish for 20 min. that should have taken 5 and THEN drags them onto the rocks to land it (i am not talking about first timers but people that should know better). Seeing wild steelhead dragged onto the rocks is a real sore spot for me I would hate to see it repeated 20 times by the same 4 dudes.

I was once with some dudes from a famous fishing mag and got a real insight into where a big, wild brown trout rated in their eyes. Right behind getting the perfect photo. They messed with the fish for what seemed to me to be an hour (15-20 min. or so). I feel a bit differently now when I see those beautiful fish pictures in the magazines.

Greg
Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
well when I hopped out of the boat protesting the treatment of the fish,I said if I saw him do it again I would drag him through the rocks!could not take it anymore! the bad thing was that the river Gaurdians found a note of the same violation,by the same person ,followed by a formal govt warning from the prior seasons records.So here he was doing it again! that may be one of the reasons [or excuses]being used for the possible rule changes for nonres on that river.[ only a guess]. anyway, here he was next year pretending to not understand english when confronted!Beau
Old 04-28-2004, 12:49 AM

RANTS by inland

hi inland, very good post! as new boy from new europe, i tend to keep fairly quiet but you hit nail dead on. a stage further on these guys are lecturing re catch and release etc and then showing their logo with undersized expiring fish. what is point? we all catch fish, and i am anti photos, measuring, kissing fish et al. you've had your fun , catch and release {ONCE NETS ARE GONE ENTIRELY} mark it in your journal and write article if anything unusuable about tussle, but who needs to back it up with bad propaganda paul
Old 04-28-2004, 02:06 AM

the thread has wandered

but not in a bad way,,,this is why i prefer to fly fish,and visit this site often,,the quality of the people that post here,there views about the resources;i don't brag about fish cought,i doesn't matter,yes size doesn't matter,,,, but always the same journey;respecting what's left of the natural world, not much left,,my little home river runs through so much development,it's mind boggling,i've seen it happen,,pretty soon our grandchildren won't need an internet,they'll simply shout `down the line',guys from the magazine mentioned need an `eye test',maybe we should gang up,,pummel them with-mails:hehe:
Old 04-28-2004, 03:59 AM

Greg,

This site does the best job of any on the net.

As to the other point brought up about the magazine photography. Our first trip East (in '97 I think), catching Haywood 'brighties', if you remember, the Loomis group did get a fresh 30+ hen. They had that poor salmon out of the water for nearly 10 minutes to the point the slime was drying in the breeze: all in the name of "Glory". Still sour about that one.

I am not dogging responsible fish photos! BTW, I love the new Washinton State fish in water rule!

William
Old 04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Recent Member

I personally love to get the "hero shot" Since I havent caught too many steelies in my life, every one I catch is amazing to me. I want a great shot of every last one that I can put on my wall or whatever....

When I have caught as many as the rest of you, then I will be a bit more choosy as to which fish get to pose with me and which get to swim away ten seconds sooner.

Edit: and yes I keep them in the water at all times

Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I think the Wa. State Law to keep fish in the water is unenforceable, unneeded and a total waste of time. Those that will keep fish in the water will; those that wont wont. The time, effort and money wasted on this could have been used to educate with far better results.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

Andy P - when you get yourself a nice beautiful large
Steelie, would like to see a picture of it. I for one
believe in celebrating the success of others. Isn't
that what sharing is truly about - to help others
be more successful. At least that's the way I see it.
Hope to see a pic soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.