Big Thompson - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD
Big Thompson

I will be heading out to Boulder CO. next week for my daughters graduation from CU. Will be dragging along a couple of the little fly rods.

Anyone out that way fished the Big T below Estes lately? What are the water conditions? Does the Estes Angler still rent hip waders by the day? Has Lily Lake Iced out and are the Greenbacks in spawn mode?

Will be arriving Wed. the 5th and leaving Sunday the 9th. Not sure how much time I will get to fish. Got to go to Thesis presentation Wednesday night, Honor Recognition Thursday afternoon and Commencement Friday AM with party Friday PM.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 03:46 PM

The Big T is fishing well on BWO patterns. Fish the area below the dam or better yet hit Caddis Flats about 5 miles downstream. There is a relatively big field area there on the left as you head down stream. Estes Angler is not open yet but you can check at their parent shop in downtown Longmont. I have not heard but Lily is probably still iced over. The Ark has been fishing well if you can take a road trip.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM

Thanks Brad, I know that flat well. It was one of my first stops. I used to guide for Este Angler 10 years ago. No time for a road trip, although I would not mind stopping in Deckers for a bit.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Good Luck, let me know how you make out. If you remember any honey holes off the beaten path from your guiding days that you are willing to share I would sure appreciate a PM. The Green was fun but I get tired of the crowds.

Brad
Old 05-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Fished the Big T Sunday. Midges in the morning and Beatis in the afternoon. Up top parachute adams, RS-2 in the film and BHPT and copper john subsurface all took fish.

BRad
Old 05-10-2004, 01:22 PM

Found a little time to fish the Big T on Friday. The flat was nuts to butts. So I went down stream just below the campground. Boy am I rusty with the trout rod. Missed numerous takes on the prince nymph and BH Brassie I had dropped beneath a Royal Wolff. Did manage to land one little rainbow with a grown up attitude. Nice to see that wild section still producing young fish. Spent the rest of the day guiding Linda around Estes and RMNP. She had never seen the Rockies before and all she kept saying was that it was sooooo beautiful that it did not appear real. The high lite of the trip was the young bull Elk munching grass along the edge of the road while we sat there and taking pictures. If there was only an ocean close by. I would move back in a blink.

Sara graduated Suma Cum Laude with a Evolutionary and Ecology Biology Degree (Plants). I am a proud pop for sure.

Last edited by BobD; 05-10-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.