waders - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ohadicd
waders

Ok, I have done the cheap combo and have now migrated to a real nice rod and reel, but the water is a bit cold...

There is always the debate over neopreme and breathable waders. Then when I go to the store, there are waders with attached boots, seperate boots, rubber, leather, and the options go on.

I live in Boise Idaho and would be fishing some mountain rivers and lakes. I would make a guess that the water temps will range from 45-55. I mainly am interested in streams for trout, but figure I would also like to be able to jump in a float tube in the future. Is there a wader I can start wading with and also use in a float tube when I can afford one?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 AM

breathables and fleece.. better and WARMER than neoprene!! Even 5 mil bootfoots. WHy?? cause in cold conditions staying dry is the only way to stay warm. Neoprenes don't keep you dry on account of sweat.. Good breathables will breath even when submerged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Recent Member

Excellent. So "breathables" don't actually leak? They just wick away my moisture? How about the boots? I see they range from $80-300. I was looking at possibly Simms Freestone, but the $80 price gives me the fright of having to upgrade in not too long. Are they good enough for a beginner, but will provide enjoyment over time?

Now back to the waders, is there a style to consider if I want to wade and use in a float tube? Or do I have to have wading waders and a seperate floating wader? Seems like if I was going to use a float tube I would want the stocking feet right? Or will it leak when I put on flippers without boots?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Marine Scientist

I wear my stocking-foot breathables with silk pants under 200-weight polar fleece in PA during the colder months of the year (i.e. the first few weeks after the majority of the ice is gone), and am always comfortable. I wear a couple of pairs of good wool hiking socks to keep my feet warm; they stay dry presumably as a factor of the wicking.
I was once interested in a pair of neoprenes for cold water, but I honestly don't think I need them. I may spring for a new pair of boots next year, as the Hodgman's I have aren't the most comfortable.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Recent Member

Thanks for all the advice. I got the middle of the line Orvis breathables and some Orvis boots with nice support and cleats. Now I just need to get out!!

Thanks again...
ohadicd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.