breathable wader recommendations? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 04:53 PM

breathable wader recommendations?

Anyone have any opinions on which breathable waders to buy? I've been looking at three similar models:

- Orvis Pro Guide II ($289)

- LL Bean Wicked Tough ($299)

- Simms G3 Guide ($425)

All three of these seem to have similar features (3-ply fabric, with 5-ply reinforcement on legs and seat, handwarmer pockets, etc), but the Simms are obviously in a different price category. (Are they that much better?)

My main concern is getting tough (yet breathable) waders that resist abrasion and punctures, particularly since I wear them duck hunting as well as flyfishing . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 10:01 PM
JD

Wink but the Simms are obviously in a different price category. Are they that much better?

Only if they come stuffed with the Hardy girl.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:01 AM

simms classic guide... PERIOD!
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 AM

Would second the recommendation for the Simms classic guide. I've used this and the G3 and would rather have it regardless of the lower price of the two!

I also hear Dan Bailey's are excellent . Orvis seems to be hit or miss with people. -mostly miss.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:43 AM

Bailey's

they have several models,reasonable price,,great revues,me included,,,redshed flyshop,,,.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:30 AM

What is going on here? $425 for a pair of waders !! Way out of line price wise. I'm sure you could get a pair that would do the job for less money. If you got the Orvise and they failed you get another pair free no questions asked. But I still think that $425 is a bit much for a pair of waders. Just my .02
FishHawk
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 AM

Re: but the Simms are obviously in a different price category. Are they that much better?

Quote:
Originally posted by JDJones
Only if they come stuffed with the Hardy girl.
... which would no doubt get you a Hardy rod too
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FishHawk
But I still think that $425 is a bit much for a pair of waders.
Seems awfully high to me too, but if they last significantly longer than others, then the price might be worth it. I usually get three years out of a pair of $180 waders . . . but most of those three years is spent wet and uncomfortable, since they usually start leaking after a month or two. If I can get three to five dry years out of the Simms, I'll spend the extra money.

Of course, if I can get three to five dry years out of the Bean or Orvis varieties and save $125, even better . . .
Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Marine Scientist

I've had a pair of Cabela's Premium waders for three years and they're (knock on wood) still going strong. I believe they were around $200.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:49 AM
just say no to bait

I have the simms now, for the past 2 years they have performed excellently. A month ago I had a stick poke right the fabric about mid thigh. Simms have an great warranty, but this is not a warranty issue. my point is no matter how good the waders are they do sustain damage in the course of everyday fishing.

Next pair of waders I get I probably won't spend the extra deniro for the best pair available. I like the idea of getting a new pair every 2-3 years. that way you get all new including the weakest part of a wader, the neoprene stocking foot. also I will be less inclined to worry about any damage which may happen.

N I

Last edited by North Island; 04-27-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:26 AM

I like simms waders because I never need the warentee. thats whats valuable to me.. I fish a lot and I fish very hard. when I go bushwacking i give no consideration at all to the potential damage that they may sustain. with that type of fishing my first pair of simms guides lasted 4 years, then a tore a hole in the back of the leg walking through a bog in the Hoh.. patch kit and some aqua seal and they lasted another year and a half. though they are leaking off and on now it's not difficult to find the leaks and repair them with aquaseal Sunday I fished all day and stayed bone dry and today there is a brand new pair on my doorstep that I ordered just a week ago. I guess I have 2 pairs now.. Simms guide gortex are a bargain at full retail..
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 AM

i don't see the duck hunting

in fishing waders,,aren't there some decent bootfoot camo waders out there for that,;cheap,real cheap,,,good fishing waders/boots,,,,are well worth the money spent!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Here fishy fishy

Going on year 7 w/a pair of LLBean neoprenes. Fish, dig clams, and have gone duck hunting in them. Tried on the Bean wicked toughs a few weeks back. Very, very nice IMHO...

Had 5 pairs of Redington breathables in 5 years, have to keep sending them back w/ leaks. May be time to make the switch.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:47 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Bean's toughest waders are the Bomber series, which are reinforced with Kevlar in the lower leg region. Almost as pricy as the Simms at $385/pair. The Wicked Tough waders simply have more layers of Gore-Tex in the legs, but no Kevlar.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 AM

Re: i don't see the duck hunting

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
don't see duck hunting in fishing waders,,aren't there some decent bootfoot camo waders out there for that,;cheap,real cheap,,,
I tend to hunt beaver ponds, which require a bit of a hike to get to. Hiking off trail through the woods in bootfoot neoprene, while carrying a bag of cork decoys, a shotgun, and a couple of boxes of shells, is hell . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.